How did your child learn about sex? adult content

Okay so my daughter is 6yrs old, she will be 7 in a month! The other day we were baking a pie together and she heard SEX on the radio... she instantly told me that its a bad thing! I then calmly asked her where she learned about SEX. She told me a friend at school told her about SEX, her friend told her that its bad and that you do it naked! She said that her friend made her barbies do it!!! I was SHOCKED! I cannot believe the ages that kids are hearing these things! I then told her that SEX is a very complicated adult thing and that we could talk about it when she got older! (I tried to have the period/becoming a woman talk with her once and she didnt wanna know yet, so we decided that these will be talked about when she is a little more ready for it.) I just cant believe it! What would you seriously do if your 6yr old was telling you what they heard about sex? Ugh!!!

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ALSO: My daughter also told me that kid in her class (1st grade) use swear words! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They are only 6 yrs old... I think that many things play a part in this! I think that music is a big problem and so is TV... What is this world coming to? I cannot believe this! Ugh!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Comment by sxc_mom_of2 (original poster) at 3:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• omgosh! No way?! Wow I would be furious and would def talk to the teacher and prob not allow my child to hang around this kid, this child is obviously seeing tooo much or worse maybe in some kind of danger. This is insane. I am pregnant and when my girls asked why I was pregnant and not them I told them that its because I'm bigger and I'm a mommy and mommy's have babies. They are way tooo young to be talking about that, at this age boys are still suppose to have cooties. I'm shocked for you and would not know what to do if this was my child saying saying this to me. Wow.!!!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Im just glad that my daughter felt comfortable talking to me about it! Yeah I totally remember boys having cooties for the longest time! I know some people think that if a child is old enough to ask then they are old enough to know, but I strongly disagree with that! I think that you need to give them an age appropriate answer like yours with the how you got pregnant! When I was preggers with my second child my daughter asked how babies are made... LOL... I started to tell her that its like a flower... I dont know where I was headed with that but my daughter could tell I was veering off topic and she said, mom you can tell me when you are ready! LOL I think I was just so shocked at the question coming from a child (my first child) I just wasnt prepared! So later that day I told her that I was a little distracted and was ready for her question again... I then told her that babies come from two happy parents! :) whew!!!! LOL
    sxc_mom_of2

Comment by sxc_mom_of2 (original poster) at 3:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well, while i believe that you should start almost from birth with age appropriate talking...I didn't have the in-depth talk until my son was 10. He didn't get much school talk from friends before then or I would have sat him down earlier. By 10 though...I knew I needed to let him know just so he wouldn't have school friends misinform him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son had questions about sex starting at age 6. I found a great book that is totally age appropriate for a 6 year old.

I can't find the exact book but these look pretty similar.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0763633313

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0811813193

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son is almost 11 and we have had talks in small doses over the last few years. I tell him the truth but only on a level I know is OK for his age and understanding. There are a lot of age appropriate books and websites to help you teach about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thankfully I have not had to go there
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4... I've already explained sex to them. I told them about both heterosexual and homosexual sex - because I don't know which they are. I also explained things like kissing, masturbating and oral sex and what is and isn't okay to do with or in front of another person. As they grow we will continue the conversation.

As for the swearing - they swore in first grade when I was there... Nothing new! I teach my children the usage is more important than the words, and I don't discourage my children from expressing themselves however they choose to as long as their actions or words are not hurting others... I would prefer to hear them swear when they kick the table than hear them use "less offensive" language to demean or belittle another person... Usage is everything, and that's what I teach them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm thankful that I began talking about sex with my kids before school age...knowing that kids can get misinformed at any age about all different things, I wanted to be the one to educate them on the "real" of life...not what they heard from their friends...I remember as a child, I heard more about sex at school then at home...the only thing my parents told me about sex was, to keep my pants up and my skirt down...to a child, that can mean a lot....so I did what I knew best for my kids and began educating them from the start...my husband called his discussion with the boys "round table" discussions...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My 7 year old dd used the word 'sex' once, but when I asked her what it meant she had no clue (which made me relieved). She thought it meant 'hanging out.' I would definitely not let my child hang out with that child anymore, but how can you stop them in school?
    Maybe let the teacher know. If you feel comfortable you could let the parent know this is what her dd is talking about. I know I would want to know if my dd said that.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010