How can I train my dog not to leave the yard?

My dog keeps finding ways to get through the fence. How can I stop her?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pets

• A friend of mine got an underground electric fence and collar for her dog. The dog does a lot better now but if she sees something she really wants she will still take the zap to get out.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I wish I had the money to get that kind of fence. I'm still trying to get a fence to start with. RIght know we have a lot of chicken wiring surrounding the property. Its a great idea!
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 5:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Keep the dog inside where he belongs. Or, go out with him so that he doesn't run away.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Unless you reinforce your fence, there really isn't anything you CAN do.. if dog sees something it wants, it'll go after it. I suggest that you either A) go out with your dog when your dog is outside B) only let dog out to go potty
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'm with heatherreneeB reinforce the fence. My neighbors across the street have two dogs and no fence yet!!!! They don't even take them for a walk!!!! The dogs r house dogs, right now!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would always go outside with them on a lead personally. If you don't use the leash I would at least still stay outside with them. You never know what could happen to them.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 12:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i dont know, we let our dog run around when she was little and she just hung around, i can lock her out all day and she stays around, we live in a gated community where you cant have fences, well you can have little posts but nothing that will keep an animal in or out, when she is home she doesnt wear a collar either, she has a chip, but we take her four wheeling and she runs around the truck and up hills, i guess you just start young and it probably depends on what you do with your dog
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 1:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I like the underground fence Idea too. I dont have a fence and I keep my dogs that like to run out of the yard on a leash.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• How old is your dog? You need to have good obedience training and train them to not go up onto or claw at the fence.
    I have three dogs - and a 4 ft fence across the front of my yard. the smallest dog I have is 26 inches at the shoulder and has cleared 4 foot fences on obstacle course.
    Our largest dog now is 31 at the shoulder and while he has not done agility would easily glide over the fence if he chose to.

Our two oldest dogs who are both 3 also are allowed outside out front - of our house on our property unleashed they do not run off.
    because we took months and months to train them to respect us, and their boundaries.
    The third will eventually become the same way.

So yes you can teach your dog not to try to get through the fence, start by NOT leaving him out there alone EVER and when he attempts escape call him off and to you and reward him with praise.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 10:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yeah go on walks
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2010