Where do I get my book published when I don't have the finances?

I have a book I'm writing. Everyone said it needs to be published. From what I understand, it cost money I don't get on a disables income. Any idea how I can get it done? Or have someone back me?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• There are companies where you can pay a fee to get your book published without having to go through a publisher. It is a great method and you can choose a plan (such as $399 to print the book and get so many copies or to have it as an online text). I am on my way to class right now, so I don't have the time to google this. If you want, shoot me a message here later and when I get home I will look up the one I have been talking to. Or...perhaps someone here may have a link. Good luck!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Go to the bookstore or library and find one of the many books about getting books published- Publishing for Dummies, How to get your book published, etc. Make sure you get a current copy. There is a list in there of every publishing company and it tells what type of writing they accept, if they are accepting now, how to send it, and what to expect. If you can only afford to spend $20 at a time, then buy some stamps and manila envelopes and send to the top ones that you think have a best match for the company's description and your book. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Just do not use Publish America, they are not as great as they sound my friend just paid to get out of the contract because of the issues she has been having.
    MrsWeathers

Answer by MrsWeathers at 10:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Most people who get their books published do not do it themselves. They get themselves an agent who then pitches your idea to the various publishing houses. When you idea is accepted, the agent takes a certain percentage of the sales. You never pay any money up front, except to pay for your shipping supplies and CD-ROMs. Go to your bookstore or library and check out a book called The Writer's Market.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010