Do you think 32mths is too early to get ears pierced?

My daughter Lily Belle is 2 1/2 and she has decided she wants to get her ears pierced. I know people do get them pierced earlier but i'm wondering if it is not a good age right now? I have explained to her that it will hurt. Lily just says "yes Mummy, it will make me cry. I get my ears pierced". I think maybe we should wait a little while longer. What do you think?

Evelynrosser

Asked by Evelynrosser at 7:17 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would wait, but i don't think it's too much of a big deal. Maybe ask your Dr. what she thinks. My sister got her DD's done at three & they got infected & it was horrible! She had to take them out. But, when my DD was 7 & got hers pierced, they got infected too. But, at least at 7, she understood better how to care for them. We did not have to take hers out, they healed pretty quickly.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:22 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i would wait. that age seems like an age where kids like to pick at stuff. i would think she would be messing with her ears too much like the above poster said..they could get infected. I would wait till she fully understands not to mess with them and how to take care of things..maybe for her 5th bday
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My DD got hers done when she turned 3......for her birthday. She asked and asked before that (her cousins had theirs done and she thought it was so pretty) so I told her for her birthday we would do it. Personally I don't see anything wrong with them getting them done. My DD's never got infected, she would even "remind" me to take care of them. If you do it make sure you call ahead to wherever you're getting it done and ask them when they will have 2 people working that can do it. It's so much easier on the kids if both ears get done at the same time.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We pierced DD's ears when she was 2; I would have liked to have done it when she was born but she was premature and she had been poked and prodded for several weeks while in the NICU that I just couldn't imagine sticking her one more time at that point.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I had mine done at 3. I asked for them. The holes are still here and fine. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think its fine if you want to do it. Thats one of those things that a mom has to decide on lol as some parents are SO against it and others are not. My daughter had hers for awhile but recently asked to take them out. The holes havent closed yet so I am not worried.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my sister's ears were pierced when she was 8 weeks old (her dad wanted EVERYONE to know she was a girl....)
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 8:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughters ears got pierced when they were a month old, so no it is not too early, it is only a quick prick with little pain.

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• OK thanks. I am worried it will hurt her LOL. Her dad is not keen on the idea but he lives 3000km away so not really his decision LOL. Her cousin has her ears pierced and thats where she got the idea from. I was hopig if I do decide to get them pierced that they could do both at once. I am a little worried about her playing with them though. I might leave it a couple of weeks and see if she forgets about it. Thanks ladies :o)
    Evelynrosser

Comment by Evelynrosser (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I like your idea of not bringing it up and seeing if you can hold her off. I mean its not necessary at all. What if they do one and it hurts her so badly that she refuses the other, or you have to hold her down for the other...eeekkkk.

My dd is 5 and still doesnt have hers done. Just not something that either one of us care about right now.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2010