shouldn't my doctor have done all my blood work done in the beginning of the pregnancy

recently i went to a regular check up.while there i asked why i had not done any blood work in the first 6 to 8 weeks much lees at all. he said " well , since you were in here for a pregnancy in January and miscarried. i didn't feel the need to do more blood work." ok to me this does not sound right at all. shouldnt they do blood work up on all pregnancies regardless, especially since i am considered high risk?

ghugp

Asked by ghugp at 7:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That doesn't sound right.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• How far are you? It seems odd that he wouldn't want to check your Hgcg levels. I'd find another doctor.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Depends on the doctor and the situation......plus your insurance. When I was pregnant with my second child I didn't have any blood work done......my Doctor said this was because I had my son 5 months before so I didn't need it.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i am 18 weeks and i think my doctor is stupid too. he delivered my daughter and was awesome now because i have gained weight and had so many miscarriages he has been rude or at the least non social.he told me at 12 wks along there is no way you can feel the baby move, then told me we dont do ultrasound on you until you are about 20 weeks or more to find out the sex of the baby because you cant see anything until then.i have an appt today but it will be my last one with him. i would rather drive an hour away for a doc who will care about me.
    ghugp

Comment by ghugp (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• something about that isn't right....
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 8:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

__________________________________
    He hasn't done an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy or any blood work? and you've had multiple miscarriages? Fire him.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yup, I agree, time to find a new doctor. They should do blood work each pregnancy to determine Blood type, Rh factor, and antibody screening
    Complete blood count
    Rubella (German measles) immunity
    Hepatitis B testing
    Syphilis screening
    HIV testing.

I believe the most important of those is the Rh factor, This site tells about the blood tests they do at your first appointment, usually. http://www.babycenter.com/0_common-first-trimester-blood-tests_9273.bc Since some of them can change in a matter of 6 months, it's important to recheck. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• what is an rh factor? both mine and my hubbys blood type is ab+ so we are an exact match
    ghugp

Comment by ghugp (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I wo uld find a new doctor. I had blood work the first appointments with both of my girls. They are nearly 3 years apart. 3 months away from 3 years. But I still think they are supose to do it. Because they check for all kinds of stuff and that stuff can change from the last pregnancy.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• also they are supose to do an altrasound or I thought at your first appointment as well to cunferm the pregnancy and everything
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010