how can i get my 4 year old to speak better

My son was a late talker and didn't realy start talking till he was almost three. Now he talks all the time but I'm the only one that understands him and that's only most of the time I would appriciate ant advice thanks

jkamom3

Asked by jkamom3 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Speech therapy....talk to your pediatrician. He may need an evaluation for an underlying problem (hearing deficits, etc.)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree, speech therapy. They will have fun games for him to play to help him figure out how to coordinate tounge, teeth, breath, and jaws to make all the sounds he needs to make.

There is also a CD called Speechercise that has "exercises" to help. It's aimed at 3 - 8 years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I recently interviewed a child speech therapist for a post on ToddlerBuzz, who addressed this very question. I thought one of her tips was great--be a sportscaster for your child. Read the full post at http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/toddler/234/Help_My_Toddler_Doesnt_Talk
    Cafe Cynthia

Answer by Cafe Cynthia at 10:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• And it's unanimous.... Speech Therapy. My daughter did it when she was 4-1/2. Others could understand her when she spoke, but she couldn't say certain sounds (r, s, th, sh, L +) and was starting to try to spell based on how she heard herself sound out the word. After a few months with a speech therapist, she had mastered all the sounds. There was no stigma about it. It was just another fun activity for her, like ballet class, but better since the insurance company covered it. We also have another friend that did it for her 4 year old son, because people had a hard time understanding him and it was frustrating for him. Better to get it done now than when he is in Kindergarten.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 7:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Unanimous - Speech Therapy. My 3 1/2 yr DD is goign to Speech Therapy once a week for an hour. She loves it and it has really helped. The play games and they really make it fun for her. The one things I strongly suggest if you decide to go for it... Work with your child at home... We do our 'homework' everynight.. Just little things the teacher gives us to do. We do it just before bed time. She has only been going for 12 weeks but I can already tell a difference.... Good Luck I know that it can be very frustrating!
    harpsmom

Answer by harpsmom at 1:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2008