my grandma is upset with me because my aunt showed her my facebook religious status is agnostic

I don't even think my grandma knows what it means. I've tried explaining it to her this morning but apparently all of my family thinks it means athiest...ugh... She keeps going on and on about how i need jesus and its never too late. I tried explaining to her the way i believe..(that i'm open to many and all views and that jesus is not the only way) I don't know what to do..i know she wants me to be "her way" because she has it in her head that we will be together again in heaven one day...but thats just not what i believe, its too easy. It sounds great and i would love that but it just seems too easy and what about everyone else who doesnt even follow the bible at all

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religion is a tough thing to deal with with other family members. Your gram will eventually get over the shock, and be more willing to listen to you. My in-laws are very very christian, and I think you could consider me more agnostic than anything, but when I started dating their son I believed in Paganism.. that didn't go over well but when I explained that it wasn't the "black magic' part of paganism that I believed in, they accepted it a little more. I also had to explain that just because I was pagan didn't mean I worshipped the devil... good luck, and have patience, sometimes it takes people longer to accept things.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I had the same problem...I told my devout catholic grandmother that I was exploring my options were religion was concerned and that I came to the conclusion that I was an agnostic. She rolled her eyes at me sighed and got really upset. when I asked her if she knew what that was she thought it was an athiest. I tried to explain it to her but all she could hear was that I didn't like her religion. I have tried over and over to explain it to her and we get nowhere. So now we have just gotten to this understanding that we just don't discuss religion cause were just going to argue. But I know she's very dissapointed in me....But on the other hand I did baptise both my children in the church to make her happy, and so they can make there own choice when they grow up. But in the meantime I love learning about religion and I dont need a priest or building to tell me I'm a good or bad person, I dont believe any man has the right to
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• judge me and I believe in my own way and noone else needs to understand or believe the same way as me.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i would just stop explaining, she's in the state to where she doesnt want to listen and she will try to keep re enforcing your decision. i would just leave it alone right now and hope she gets over it. my sister was raised catholic and she is apparently agnostic. no one judges her but she does take on a different life and she accepts what comes her way
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That's exactly why I don't fill out the "religious" section of online profiles--I don't need the drama with family and friends. I know many, many people who will worry themselves sick if I don't believe the same exact thing they do. I know it's aggravating, but just try to keep in mind that your grandma loves you and is just worried for you.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Agnostics question the existence of a God, right? I would take the opportunity to have adult conversations with your Grandma about the existence and how some people believe and others question. It could be a true learning experience, and a beautiful one between the 2 of you, if she can take the emotion out of it. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You HAVE to have your own beliefs. You cannot live your life on the beliefs of others. Your grandma's faith isn't going to get you to heaven/whatever form of afterlife, and I can't see why she would think that it would. That'd be like saying "Just because I'm a good person, YOU can go to heaven". It doesn't work that way. You have to believe in whatever makes sense to you personally.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• What a wonderful Grandma to be concerned for you! You're right, trusting in Jesus IS too easy. God sure made salvation pretty simple didn't He? I'm so thankful for that!! ;-) and according to the Bible, Jesus IS the only way to Heaven. I recommend listening to your Grandma. She loves you, she speaks the truth, she wants you to be in Heaven with her and the Lord. There is nothing wrong with that :-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 11:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My mother and grandmother are JWs, I'm Pagan. To make this easy, just picture the Hiroshima Bomb in a living room ever time religion came up when I was younger... I simply made it clear that I don't believe as they do, I have my own beliefs and they don't get to decide how someone else believes. Unlike you, I'm not open to preaching and told them flat out I'm not changing. I have had my beliefs since I was a child regardless of the fact that they tried to teach otherwise and that as an adult it's my right not to believe as they do... They didn't like it, they don't like it, but it's not their choice... Make your position clear and stand by it, it will pass!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Before you get into it with your grandmother, your first job should be to ask your aunt why she went out of her way to intentionally start a fight between you and your grandmother.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010