how do you get 3+ kids to get along and in the meantime stay organized and clean and find time for yourself?

I try to be organized, I need help when their are a bunch of kids, we have medicine time, bath time, homework time,etc,etc,. how do I find time to organize my house, my life and me so that I can take care of the children, not forget anything and take care of myself to, without giving up food and sleep, both seem like a waste of time. I don't think their is enough time in the day.

buzybuzybusy

Asked by buzybuzybusy at 10:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I sooooo agree with you. I only have one child, a one year old and my house, myself, my schedule, everything is just a big mess. I find it helps to get a day away from the baby and just do all my organization, do bills, nap and then do some shopping with a couple of presents for myself to enjoy after he goes to bed. i get so exhausted without my husband around a lot of the time and one day a week i just have him take the baby (or my mom) and just do what i can.. Just ask for help. Friends and family know how hard it is and are willing to help. They definantly don't mind seeing a little mess here and there or even everywhere. Most likely they've been there.
    jsscawlcx

Answer by jsscawlcx at 11:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Have a set day for certain chores and do them on those day. Depends on your kids' ages but I have a 5-year-old SS and Monday has been cleaning day for me - which got easier now that he's in school. I do all major cleaning on Mondays and laundry as well (maybe another load or two throughout the week as needed.) Tuesdays I actually head to work, Wednesdays is "me" time while he is in school, and then it's library day and shopping. Thursday - depends what I need to get done. I have found recently that crockpots are a Godsend and you can get all the dinner prep done in the morning and not have to deal with it late afternoon when you may be trying to get other things done and/or are tired.
    Anonymous

• There is never enough time in the day! The best advise I can give is to not worry about the house work until your kids and yourself are taken care of. Find a support team, spouse, family or friends. I trade babysitting with some friends and that helps us all stay in outrbudget and closer to sanity.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• sTART TEACHING THEM HOW TO CLEAN UP BEHIND THEMSELFS, MAKE IT FUN FOR THEM, LISTEN TO MUSIC AND DANCE YOUR WAY TO A CLEAN HOUSE, PAMPER THEM AFTER THEIR BATHS, MAKES THEM REAL TIRED, THAN YOU RELAX, TEACH THEM HOW TO FIX COLD CEREAL IN THE AM (START BY MAKING THEM AT NIGHT W/ CUPS OF MILK MADE FOR THEM) THEY START TO BE MORE INDEPENDENT AND YOU HAVE MORE YOU TIME, OH YEA BIG WARNING..............YOU WILL MISS ALL THE KISSES N HUGS YOU USED TO GET!!
    mommajay915

Answer by mommajay915 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Don't let yourself get overwhelmed at the organization and cleaning. Like another post said teach them to clean up after themselves and be self sufficient. If they absolutely can not get along then make them sit in a circle holding hands, they should learn to get along pretty quick. Get them to play in the bedroom semi quietly and you can have a little time to yourself.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Lady if you find the answer to this question I bow to you LOL. When they are young and at home you just have to do the best you can...survival mode! Once they are school age then you can get a bit of organization and some time for yourself. I think we moms are too hard on ourselves...we need to cut ourselves a break!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i have NO IDEA!!!!! but when you figure it out let me know! I usually only have time to do anything after they go to bed around 9.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 5:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks for all the advice. Today at the learning store I found chore charts that use dry erase markers, the kids can learn to brush their own teeth and get themselves up and ready, my son got an alarm clock. they are also going to make their own beds and clean up their own rooms. I also am starting to do the homework right after school and I am starting bath time around 4 pm instead of 6 that way they are already in their pjs before dinner and after dinner I wash hair read stories and everyone is in bed by 8 pm. I did that tonight and I feel so much less frazzled. I also decided that I am going to put college on hold another year or two until they get a little older. if anyone else has any tips I always open to ideas, I am going to try to do major chores on certain days of the week and just learn to clean as I go in between.
    buzybuzybusy

Answer by buzybuzybusy at 9:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I don't know if it will help, but it has helped me a bit and that, dear, is a HUGE thing! Try this group. CEOMoms (Cleaning, Encouraging, Organizing Moms).
    LADYLadylady

Answer by LADYLadylady at 4:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2008