what do you think of the preacher who is going to burn the koran on 9/11?

I was watching the news this morning when I heard this and even after our military officials have said this will create more attacks against our military in Afghanistan and possibly other Americans. With having a son in the USA Navy I personally feel very strongly against this. Give me your opinion on this, I'm curious to see your responses.

lacesmommy804

Asked by lacesmommy804 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't like the sound of this at all. I think there are other ways to get your point across, but that is just hugely disrespectful. Does this man realize that we have muslims living in this country who are not terrorists....grrrr this just makes me sad.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• People have the right to do such things, even if doing them proves the person is a f'ing moron. It's a shame this preacher is so self-absorbed and so blinded by hate that he can't even understand the potential consequences of his actions. Would be interesting to see if anything does happen, would victims have a case to sue for speech that knowingly incites violence (one of the very few exceptions to the first amendment). When the commander of an entire theater tells you that you are going to cause someone harm, that should be enough to qualify as reckless and "knowingly" doing something, no?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think he is doing it for the attention and he is going to stir up alot of crap!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think he's spitting in his God's face. God would accept all of us and love all of us no matter what our religion.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 9:27 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't think about it at all. If he bought the book, he is free to do what he wants with it. Just like other religious fanatics burning opposing religion's books of faith. If they bought it, it's their book to do what they want with it.

Personally, I think it's childish and doesn't really accomplish much.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think there is better uses of his time and resources than doing something like that- I question his motivation. He deserves what ever he gets and I doubt God will protect him in any way-the God I love would not condone such an act.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I suppose he has free speech and can burn the Koran if he likes. Personally I feel it is disrespectful and hateful. If the Muslm religion is as peaceful as I keep hearing on Cafemom there should be no trouble. If some extremists do hurt people over this it is still on them they are just using that as an excuse IMO.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• This guy needs to locked up for trying to start a riot!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If the Muslm religion is as peaceful as I keep hearing on Cafemom there should be no trouble.

I keep hearing Christianity is a peaceful religion that never terrorizes anyone, too

http://www.haverford.edu/fragmentedbodies/images/Ku-Klux-Klan.jpg

If extremists do anything, yes, they are responsible.  But, just like a klan leader who incites his members to commit an act of violence is responsible when he isn't there for the lynching and putting up the cross in the victim's yard, this pastor would be JUST as responsible.  He doesn't get a free pass.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I am just guessing here, but I probably agree with the guy on his view of the Koran. HOWEVER, you don't burn something that another person feels is precious. That is just rude, unkind, and hateful. Christ NEVER called us to be rude and hateful - honest about confronting sinfulness, but not hateful. In fact we are told to approach a person in love and humility. It sounds like none of that is behind his desire to burn the Koran. It's wrong.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010