He wakes up after he goes to bed and screams.

I have a one year old son. After we put him to bed and he falls asleep, an hour or two later he wakes up screaming uncontrolably. My husband and I finally calm him down for about five to ten minutes. Then he goes to bed again and sleeps through the night. We just started him on cows milk after having a milk protein allergy. He is fine throughout the day and it doesn't seem to bother him. We've tried to let him cry it out, but i don't have the heart. He just screams bloody murder....like no other cry i've heard from him. My thought might be night terrors, but it's almost exactly one to two hours after he falls asleep....Any and all ideas of what this might be or if you have the same problem would really really help...Thank you

jsscawlcx

Asked by jsscawlcx at 10:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Health

• Ok mom I dont wanna scare you....but we have a boy who is 2 in our day care and his mother told us that for over a year they thought he was having nighmares and he would wake up crying and screaming......they realize now (after testing) that he has been having seizures in the night.

I dont understand a lot about it....but I thought I would mention it to you so you would have a heads- up if you needed to mention that to a Dr........ ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Seeing the first answer...I guess I would go get it checked out. BUT, our daughter did the same when she was little and the doc said that it was just her brain kind of not making complete connections during part of her sleep cycle. He said it was because her brain was still forming and when she was dreaming the neural pathway wasn't complete. She is now 16. She outgrew it by 5 years old. It was horrible though; I remember having to get her in the bathtub to stop her screaming. It was like she'd get in the water and "wake up" kind of surprised and then start to chill out in the water. We'd put her back to bed and she would sleep the rest of the night with no problems.

Still...it was no fun. HUGS to you!
    camomus

Answer by camomus at 1:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My son did exactly the same thing; it would happen only when he was overtired and he would wake up almost exactly one hour after he fell asleep, w/no recollection the next day. He outgrew the nite terrors by the time he was 4 or 5. Coincidentally, my boy couldn't tolerate milk protein either, though we didn't know it at the time.
    Anonymous