How to eat cheap while broke?

I'm living transitionally (mostly in my car). I need to find ways to eat very cheaply when I have no stove, no cooking utensils, and no refridgerator. How can I eat cheaply while very broke?

A few answers
- My daughter is with her father (and is in college)
- I am using a public computer at the library

I've been laid off since November and cannot find sustainable work. Life's been really hard. So, please no criticizing. I do have two job prospects. I haven't heard word of a final decision yet.

~Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• I'm so sorry to hear about you circumstances, and if anybody even thinks about criticizing then they have bigger problems. I'm sorry that I can't offer anything more than maybe try to find a soup kitchen or service of the state. Otherwise the cheapest way to eat without a way cook is fastfood. I know it's not ideal but it's better than nothing and if you looking to get a job soon than maybe you wont have to do it for very long. Good Luck with everything I wish you the best.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• PBJ needs no fridge, or raw vegatables/ fruits would also add some healthyness to the mix. I've had to eat like this my self. When i was younger my mother was on drugs and any food in the kitchen would be eaten up by her juky friends so i used to have to hide things under my bed. A few other good choices are potted meat, canned tunasalad with crackers, dry cereal,cold pop tarts, and bannana and PB sandwhiches. If you have a place near you that has the coffee pots with the hot water spouts for tea most places don't mind you filling a cup with the hot water and then you can make cup- a- noodles, instant oatmeal, or instant mac-n-cheese packs.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• McDonalds Dollar Menu is the best I can offer...
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah- dollar menus at fast food places for hot food, and peanut butter and bread or crackers...a small container of milk and use disposable spoons/bowls and have cereal. buy a couple of bananas or apples at a time

Good luck on the jobs, hopefully this situation won't last long
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• PB&J, Bagged salads, dry cereal, tuna and crackers
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• while you are waiting for the job offers maybe a pt job at a restaurant or fast food... most places you can eat for free or discounted... 

chiana

Answer by chiana at 9:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Maybe if you post the state that you are in, someone here can direct you where to go for public assistance & housing. You should definitly look into Social Services, if you have a permanent residence, you'll probably be able to get a better job. If you cannot find a place to go, maybe you could go to a local Hospital & ask to speak to a Social Worker there & they can direct you where to go. Good Luck and I hope everything works out soon for you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I would suggest PBJ sandwiches on wheat bread, or put some raisins on instead of jelly, pop tarts, boxed cereal (my kids like to use it as a snack food sometimes), canned meats, crackers and cheese, or they have the packaged cracker snacks with peanut butter or cheese, fruit, canned soup or canned spaghetti-o's (I have a son that likes it cold right out of the can), canned broth.....
    Do you have any food pantries or places that can help you? I would try Salvation Army, United Way, local churches....
    I hope and pray that everything works out and things get better for you!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I also used to go to my local royal farms on t he midnight shift when there was only this one lady in there. She took pity on the little 10 year old coming in at midnight hungry as hell and would let me put my cans of spagetti o's in a bowl and microwave them. Do you have one near you? Maybe if you go in when there is only 1 person working they will let you use there's
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It is getting to be the harvest season. Orchards and farm markets are very inexpensive. This way you can have an apple etc and it will keep for awhile and it is healthy. Microwave ready soups are good too...and most gas stations have a microwave out for customer use. I hope you are in a state where it is warm...I am in OH and would not want to have to live in my car during the cold months.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010