For those against homosexuality...

Do you know anyone involved in a committed homosexual relationship? My neighbors are a gay committed couple and they are wonderful people. Growing up with them, I can not see my kids being against gays. Just wondering- do you know and respect anyone that is gay or if you did-would it change your views?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 9:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OP, I do view other social issues the same way. I believe sex outside of marriage is a sin. I believe we should be teaching abstinance to our kids...not just because of my faith though..and I don't think we should use faith in the teaching...I think we should use responsibility and accountability in the teaching. I think adultery, murder and theft are equal sins. There doesn't need to be a victim or lack of consent for there to be sin imo.

OP..thank you for the kind way in which you are handling your question. :)

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Just because I'm not for gay marriage doesn't mean I'm against all gay people. They're people just like you and me and I love and respect them and yes I know many gay people one particular that is in a long term committed relationship.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh ok sorry, I guess I'm so used to people here labeling those that aren't for the marriage issue as haters, or whatever. I definitely see a difference.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have a good friend that is gay. We have been friends since elementary school. We even grew up in the same church. He has been in a committed relationship for about 10 years now. They are both wonderful people. It hasn't changed my views on homosexuality.

I am not necessarily "against" homosexuality or homosexuals. It isn't my place to judge them or their lifestyle choices. My religious beliefs go to my very core though and I do believe homosexuality is a sin. I also happen to believe a lot of other things are sins and can get just as defensive/offensive where they are concerned.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know you're asking ysk, but, yes, I do. Sex outside of marriage is a sin. Stealing is a sin. Murder is a sin. Lying is a sin. Homosexuality is a sin. And there are others.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Not really a gay marriage question- I know that issue has many layers-I was asking about homosexuality in general- thanks for your input-I am glad that you can see the difference between the issue and the people.
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I'm not completely sure how I feel about gay people. Mostly I'm a live and let live person. If someone is not physically or emotionally hurting someone else, I don't typically care about what they do. I do have a relative who is gay and so does my DH. I don't get along with one of them and it's not because of this person being gay. It's because of personality. I can't stand people who think they are right about everything because they can talk over everyone else and when they have zero life experience yet. I don't believe in gay people not having civil rights or anything like that. In answer to the question, I have a hard time reconciling anyone being gay because I'm not and don't understand it. But that is my deal and I don't put it on gay people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My religious beliefs go to my very core though and I do believe homosexuality is a sin.

Interesting- are there other social issues that you view the same way- like sex outside of marriage, etc....
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• May- are they are on the same level? Do you see a difference between say murder which has a clearly defined victim and consensual relations between two adults- does it come down to what you believe the Bible says period or is there room for interpretation? I am not trying to invalidate your beliefs or say you are wrong-that is not my place- I am just trying to see view points and how people come up with what they think and feel.
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The only gay person I know is the jerk who tried to kill me.
    TessaHoney

Answer by TessaHoney at 10:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2010