Ever done something drastic to get your teenagers attention when you have had all you can take then regret it later?

I don't even want to say what I did I am so upset with myself, they were fighting and getting an attitude with me and I was over the edge.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• make sure you apologize then, I don't have teenagers yet, but I remember being one, and my mom was pretty awful, pretty abusive, I left at 17, and even when i know she felt bad about doing things to me, she never apologized because she was too prideful. There was 1 time she did, and I'll never forget it because it meant a lot to me for her to admit how wrong she was and apologize to me, and it brought us closer.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes - I searched her room and found a letter that was rather disturbing from someone that she should have not been communication with. I am glad I searched her room - too many dangerous people out there that like "little girls." I just should have handled it better. She hated me afterwards - but guess it was worth it to protect her.
    Marysmenagerie

Answer by Marysmenagerie at 9:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i did something pretty childish to my ex's daughter once..(tween).. she was picking at her brother poking him and teasing making him feel 2ft tall and i was so fed up with her and wanted her to see what it felt like so when she went to take a drink of her mt dew i knocked it up and it went all over her face...she cried and ran to her room and everyone laughed (just me, her brother and cousin)...she called her mother and cried to her about it.. of course i had some explaining to do. I was probably wrong for doing it..and i apologized to her but i did let her know i only did it because i wanted her to know that that is how she makes her brother feel
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Unfortunately, I really know how you feel. My boys are 18, 21 & 27. I always thought I handled the challenges pretty well, until they hit about 16 or 17...from that age to about 20 seems to be the most difficult ...at least with mine, and there have been a few times when they have really pushed me beyond the breaking point. Not thrilled with myself or them. I don't know if it's hormones at that age, too much testosterone, but they definitely seem more aggressive (mostly with each other) and serious attitude. They're pretty good kids, get good grades, don't get into any real trouble, and yet they can push me to my limit, and yes there have been times that I didn't handle it in a good way.

You aren't alone, *hugs*.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No i can't say i have. I know that as soon as a child turns 11-12. then everything that a parent knows, for some reason, we know nothing after that secret age. I would hear all the time, " Mom, you just don't know".. haha when actually i did. Now its, " Why didn't you tell me?" after i did for years.. But I can't say i had done anything for a regret.. I would just walk away// I know it is easier said then done. But the more you react, which is what they want, the more they have a come back.One thing i have found that worked real good for me.. I put a chair in the middle of the room.. and my child had to sit there till i said she could get up.. pretty boring looking at a wall.. this technique really worked for me.. Had to do it 2x. I don't know.. but its saving you from pulling out your hair..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 9:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Everyone gets angry and everyone does or says things they regret later. After everyone has time to cool off, sit them down and apologize for the way you reacted. Then if you need to discuss whatever started it in the first place, do that but keep it calm and if it starts to heat up again, call a time out for everyone. My son is still young, but I know that as a teen an apology from my parents made a bigger impression on me than an outburst.
    ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 10:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well, you may have been wrong BUT you are only human and they dissed you. They should have been nicer too. Don't take all the blame.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• OH YEAH! Not proud of it either! Sometimes our own emotions get the better of us! If you need to apologize do so! And by all means forgive yourself, which is probably the hardest part.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Everyone makes mistakes. The best way to get past it is to admit the mistake and outline for your teens what sent you over the edge and what you are going to do the next time to avoid it. The kids need to take responsibility for their actions too.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2010