Need a scripture.

My friend is having some serious issues with her mother. Long story short.Her mother left her as a child. And her mother was a drug addict, acholoic(Sp), prostitue, she abused her. My friend has went through alot with her and instead of letting her mother disappoint her and her children anymore. She has just decieded to write her mother out of her life. Well her mothers family is giving her hell about it. Telling her she is wrong her mother even though shes made bad decisions she shouldn't push her to the side. My friend has tried to have a realtionship with her many times. but it always comes out the same her mother doing something to create more drama or dissappoint her. I need a scripture for her to know that what she's doing is right, for her puttin her family first. Thanks!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know a scripture off the top of my head, but I know proverbs would probably have some that fits the situation. Sometimes in order to stay healthy you just have to cut out the toxic people in your life. Good luck to her.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Proverbs 3:5-6
    Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• this scenario is all too familiar to me ;-) Here are some verses I have had to apply through my Christian life:
    2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    This isn't only regarding the marriage relationship, this is all relationships.
    1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
    Even non-believing family members can be very detrimental to the faith of a Christian. They can also negatively affect how the Christian is trying to raise their children. I have had to break fellowship with close family members for various reasons. I love them, I pray for them, I talk to them on occasion. It is best that I just not fellowship daily with them and focus on the Lord and my family.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 10:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• here is one :
    Isa. 54: 17
    17 ¶ No aweapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;
    lovely35

Answer by lovely35 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• First your friend may want to feel some compassion for her mother about WHY she had the addiction and your friend might have a better understanding as to why her mom does these things. Your friend is allowed to hate the behavior, but find sympathy for her mom. Hezekiah is great reading in 2 Kings.

Phillipians 2 12 work on your own salvation
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know how heart wrenching this situation can be for those who love God and seek to do his will while someone you dearly love and are close to is wayward and toxic to life. Your friend can take heart that God knows all too well how heartbreaking this is since this is one of his beloved children who is choosing to live this way when He offers them the best there is.

Matthew 10:37-39
    37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I found /home-n-stead.com/family/articlesonfamily/family_sin.html">this and it has something good to say about how the sin of close family effects those who choose Christ's righteousness.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well I guess not.
    Here it is.
    Geez...
    Sorry it's been one of those days...again.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• [15] “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. [16] But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. [17] If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. [18] Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. [19] Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. [20] For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
    (continued)
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• [The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant]
    [21] Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” [22] Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.
    [23] “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. [24] When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. [25] And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. [26] So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.’ [27] And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.
    (continued)
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010