What is the point of a thumbs down?

I know it means "disagree", but is it sposed to hurt you feelings, too? Cuz, guess what. It really doesn't ;)
people are free to their opinions. A thumbs down doesn't change how they think about a topic.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in About CafeMom

• i don't use it to hurt feelings..this is the internet, its not like what i think about someone's feelings is going to be noticed or even known by that person or anyone seeing a thumbs-down. it simply means i disagree with whatever they posted. its a quicker way to show disagreement than to actually waste words telling someone you disagree. besides, telling them only brings out the drama and the haters.
    i've recieved them..doesn't bother me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think it makes the offensive posts go farther down the list so people don't have to read them as much if they rank it by votes instead of oldest/newest.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• As far as I am concerned it's a silly feature. People use it to vote down answers that they don't agree with, not necessarily rude or offensive remarks. Some people answer questions according to their own beliefs, not to soothe over someone's feelings. The truth is not always pretty. If you are seriously wanting a legit answer to your question, than you shouldn't get upset if someone does not agree with you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I hadn't thought of it as saying you didn't agree. I thought it was if you considered something a bad answer. I haven't used it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would only use the thumbs down for rude comments that were not necessary. I do not set out to hurt someone's feelings. It does cost someone to loose 3 points and it can add up for those who really care about those points.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The "point" of it and how it's used in reality are two entirely different things
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I've never heard of anyone losing points over it. That could be abused very easily. Not that I care about the points, we don't win money or anything for it. I haven't noticed the points thing tho. I watch outta curiousity, not over any real "oh no my precious pointless points" lol
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It's not meant to vote down opposite opinions, it's meant to vote down people who are just rude. You can state an opinion completely opposite of the post while being nice about it. At least you should be able to. I think some people think being rude makes them stand out but it really just makes them look dumb.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No, it's not meant to hurt someone's feelings. The point is to be able to vote down disrespectful and inaccurate answers.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 7, 2010