If you had a 6 week baby at home and you had to go back to work watching kids...

Ok so my little one just turned 6 weeks I have been watching these same 2 boys for over 2 years now! I also have a son that is 6.. for the past 2 years my son has been sick on and off with these 2 kids A LOT.. well I didn't have them the entire summer and my son wasn't sick 1 time it was soo nice! Then the day b4 she is to bring these kids here she lets me know that the older one had bronctisis over a week ago and the younger one 3(whichs stays with me all day) has a sinus infections which just got antib. for... I am having a hard time wanting to watch these kids because of my little one, it was bad enough when my son was getting sick... we are really strapped for money right now but I am thinkin my babies health is way more important than $130 a week.. My husband says give the 2 week notice. I am torn because I have ads in the paper to get more kids but then I give this family a notice... what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd advise against canceling them. All children get sick. At least the mom warned you. Bronchitis a week ago- likely it is well over. Sinusitis isn't contagious. It sounds as though the mom is on the ball and didn't just bring you sick children. Wash your hands a lot and the children's hands- this is just a good policy in general. Your 6-year old, if he is going to school, likely got sick from being exposed to the other children at school, which is perfectly normal- they build up resistance.

Answer by Bmat at 10:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You need to be nice a give a two week notice. I watch children in my home. The last two people decided to tell me the day before or the day off that oh we will no longer need you. We have family that will do it for free for us. It put me in a bind and hurt us. Just think, being told that someone wil no longer watch your children and you have ho back up for them. How would that make you feel. I understand you do not want these children around your child. but the right thing to do is give them a two week notice. Trust me if you do not. She will make sure everyone she knows that you did that and your name. So you do not want that.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When you bring your kids around other kids they are going to get sick. If you dump this family and bring in a new one you are likely to have the same problem. You would have to decide to forgo being a daycare provider altogether to better protect your children from communicable illness.

But you must also realize that everything they DO catch, helps build up their immune systems the natural way.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Kids are going to get sick no matter what. The more you have around, the more often. It's not a bad thing to get sick... it helps to build the immune system. You can also give your kids supplements to help build their immune system... eliminate sugar and make sure they have a really healthy diet.

For the baby, as long as you are breastfeeding and you keep yourself healthy (good diet, certain supplements, no sugar, etc..) baby will be fine.

You can also tell her that the kids aren't to be brought to you when they are sick and call her to pick them up if she brings them anyway. It's what a daycare would do.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2010