Does you think increased technology has anything to do with the increase in depression?

I personally feel so much better when I spend less time online and watching TV. But it's so easy to just fall into the trap bc it's everywhere. With cable and DVR and laptops and mobile web.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 10:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• partly, sure. People who were craftsman or worked with their hands or did alot of leg work, don't have that anymore. Its all sit on your but and type at buttons all day now which can be quite unfulfilling for some
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I most certainly do! I know I for one spend a lot more time than I should on CM, just because I feel like I'm getting more interaction with people. But, I am still SO lonely because I don't have many real life friends. It's hard doing things with friends because I still have three kids at home.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I've never thought about it that way. It kind of does make sense.

I blame the fact that negativity is contagious. How can people who are surrounded by constant negativity not become negative themselves? Constantly negative people can't be happy...
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think that in some cases it does, with people that work at jobs that have little human contact because it's mostly just computer work, but in other cases it helps people ( like SAHMs) that would have little adult contact during the day they can now conecet with others even if it's only online
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes and no. We have so much less human contact, which can be isolating. On the other hand, we are able to find people with common interests or similar experiences. That sort of support can really go a long way in helping our spirits. For example, people with rare medical problems can seek out others who have been through a similar problems, give support and advice. That has helped me in the worst of times.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Since i have been connected up with CM, i get more feed back from people that have had or having the same issues as myself. You go onto the Yahoo chatroom, then you see more and more bad things and hear more negativity there then you do here. Then you go to Facebook, more gossip there and the drama. This i think has way less drama and more of a helping place for people to cope and feel better. I have been in more of a good mood lately because i feel that i have maybe helped someone out there.. I also get some good recipes on here as well.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 10:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• absolutely! its the lack of activity that we used to get w/o the internet. while (for example) shopping used to be an on your feet activity that would have your heart beating, now youre sitting at your computer browsing the looks! also, having all this news at your finger tips can be harmful at times. sometimes i like to get out and be tech free for a few hours!
    MotivatingMama

Answer by MotivatingMama at 2:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Of course it does! there is no doubt about it. However, there are other reasons so weed out the tech. and see if things feel better. Then set limits for yourself using a timer. Limits are not a bad thing to have. I'd also see a Dr. if you haven't yet.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 10:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2010