what would you consider potty trained?

this little guy does go potty on the toilet really good all day (not while sleeping)
but yet he still poops in his underware a lot.. the mom won't put pull ups on him just lets him poop his pants....
I don't consider this potty trained do you?
btw I watch him durring the day...

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 10:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh and he is 3
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Clean pants, no accidents for a month is potty trained in my book. Bed wetting happens some times though and that is partly my fault for not always getting him up on time in the middle of the night.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well the 3 year old i keep his mom claims he is potty trained but he will not once tell you he has to go potty you just have to put him on the potty every 30 mins and he will still pee and poop in his pull up....They will bring him in the morning and say oh I have not taken him to the bathroom yet and his clothes and all will be sooo wet OMG its annoying
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When mine could go on his own and only needed me for buttoning and such...I called that trained. Having more than a couple accidents at all and one a day..not at all trained.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'd tell her she needs to start putting diapers on the boy when she sends him over and get on the same page as you with potty training him or to go find a new sitter. Least if I were in that situation I would do that.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If a child is still having regular accidents, not potty trained. My oldest would have the occasional accident during the day until he was a little over 2 1/2 and had stopped nightime accidents by around 3 years. We got really lucky because he was pretty easy to train.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Able to wear underpants. A couple accidents- fine, but regularly going in his pants makes it not an accident but not being trained.

Answer by Bmat at 10:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I consider potty trained when a child is no longer having accidents.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'd say he's half trained, but if you put him in diapers or pullups he will likely regress and lose the "half way there" progress he's already made. Pooping and peeing are not the same thing, and it may just take him a little longer to get the pooping part down. When my son was at this stage my daycare didn't ask me to put him back in diapers or pullups, and before very long he he graduated from being half way trained to being fully trained. They told me it was pretty common to have boys over 3 still having issues with pooping.

Are you charging the mom less because he's supposed to be fully trained? If that is the case, then I would talk to her about it.  Another possibility if he's new to your care is that he isn't comfortable pooping at your house yet; some kids do have a hard time with that.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No its not funny potty trained. its pee trained.
    But its a work in progress. She seems like she is dropping the ball.

Once my child was pee trained, it only took her an extra week to be poop trained.
    My OTHER child actually poop trained first, lol. But again, only as few more days to be fully trained.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2010