Is knowlingly planning an event when you know a certain group cannot attend the same as excluding that group from an event?

If you are promoting something as being open to all view points, religions, etc, but know months in advance that you are having the event on a certain major religion's high holy day (meaning adherents of that religion would be unable to attend) can you still say it's open to all and say it honestly and sincerely (as opposed to paying lipservice to the idea of openness)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I applaud your cleverness actually. It is the same but its just a clever way of getting around it. This way you can safely invite them and be pretty certain they won't come and no one can say you left them out. The choice to not attend is now on them.. not you. Well played. I'd probly do something similar.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I want absolutely no credit for this. I personally find it appalling, and the event that inspired this question is something on a national level, not a baby shower. I'm just curious if others find it an "allowable" dodge around inclusiveness or if they see it as the same sham I do.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It's a tactic I employ with family... usually works too. However, any claim to fairness, equality, openness, etc. is negated by the indirect, direct exclusion of all or part of any group.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No I see it as just fine if you don't want those people to attend and simultaneously keep your neck out of the ringer.

Its sneaky, but if these people are a disruptive influence but will gripe about not being invited, then that seems a way to go.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If you are promoting it as being open to all view points and religions then YES. Either it is open, or it's not. This is just the passive aggressive version of not inviting someone, which is almost worse, and depending on the event, it's completely wrong. However, if this is a personal function that you are simply trying to be polite about, it's not as big of a transgression and might be an acceptable tool to avoid potential conflict.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• if these people are a disruptive influence

Out of curiosity, why do you assume that the ones being excluded are automatically the "bad guys" in this situation?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• only thing assumed here, was that I was being supportive.
    Even if someone else is the "bad guys" here, what I said still stands. Its still a clever idea.
    I can see their point a little tho if your this confrontational in real life, too. Good luck ;)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well I think it is exclusion, and I hope whoever the excluded party is shows up anyways! Then whoever was trying to be sneaky can know the true meaning of open to all!

wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I can see their point a little tho if your this confrontational in real life, too. Good luck ;)

Did you not notice this was the debate section you were answering? This is not "my" event. Like I said, it's a national event, being held on the holiday of a major religion, and when that scheduling detail is questioned, it is dismissed as not really meaning anything.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• sounds like a scam i would come up with
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2010