ok need help on this one....

I had issues with breastfeeding in the beginning, got it straightened out and been doing great for about a wk now. All of a sudden this morning my 1mnth old son keeps spitting the nipple out like he does when he's not hungry but If I put him down he cry's like he's starving. He doesnt like the sling unless I go for a walk, just moving around the house he hates so I cant do that and I cant hold him 24/7 we just started packing to move. Has this happened to anyone before?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you eaten something that he wouldn't like? Every time I ate Jalepenos, Dd would spit my nipple out the same way...onions, peppers...Look at your diet since everything you eat transferrs into the milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• no nothing spicy, He has a sen. tummy so I watch what I eat. nothing out of the ordinary either.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I had this problem when eating certain foods - I had to cut out a large amount of dairy in my diet, I think I was just eating too much. I noticed when I pumped that my milk was a slightly different colour and that when it was that colour my firstborn would barely ever breastfeed.

Another thing it could be is a particular bodywash/new deoderant/washing powder. I swear I found this... Although never proven but it helped me out!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• hmm, maybe you ate somethibg he doesn't like? Maybe ear troubles? Possibly nose is too stuffy to get the suck, swallow, breathe pattern going? How long has this been going on, does he have any fever? Are you extra stressed with the packing to move? Try to sit and chill (don't think of what else needs to go in this box, lol) Or when he spits the nipple does he get sprayed in the face? If that's happening there are several answers to that issue. Do you have any milk pumped and stashed? would he take a bottle of that milk?
    MilkingMomma

Answer by MilkingMomma at 10:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I also cut out dairy but I did get a new deodorant yesterday. He had no prob. yesterday just since 6am this morning. So do I just keep offering the breast to him? try pumping some of it out ? not sure what to do....
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Just keep offering, change the deo. back to what it was. you can pump and see if he will take it in bottle form just to see that it's not the milk.

It could also be a nursing strike but I've not heard one in such a young baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• no fever and so NOT stressed about packing I'm looking forward to it! and no he doesnt get sprayed in the face when he spits the nipple out, does that mean something? Sorry about all the questions I'm a 1st time mommy who's trying to breastfeed
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The milk might be coming out too fast. Try the side laying position so gravity isn't making it come out as fast and or expressing a little into a bottle before feeding if that doesn't work. Also, get the number for your local LaLechLeague!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Have you checked him for thrush? Thrush can cause what you are describing.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My first thought would be growth spurt. They do all sorts of funny things during growth spurts and latching on and off is one of them.

Second thought would be thrush... check his mouth for white patches (esp if you had anti-biotics before/durring labor... this would be the time for that to be catching up to you).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2010