How do I keep my 5 year old son from getting hurt by this?

My son is 5 and last Sunday at church he moved from the 4-5 year old class to the kindergarten class. One of his friends from his old class also moved up. My son is so sweet and was happy that his friend was in his new class too. He told me that his friend said he wasn't his friend anymore. Now I know how kids are at that age, I just don't want my little boy to feel hurt or rejected. How do I handle this? What do I say to my son? What can I teach him from this experience? I'm really at a loss for words right now.

Mama2JoshKatie

Asked by Mama2JoshKatie at 10:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he asks about it just let him know that God puts people in our lives, sometimes for a long time, sometimes for a short time. They leave footprints in our heart and are always there and gone for a reason. Always a lesson :)
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 7:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It's part of being a kid, and it's not going to kill him. Simply explain that if they don't want to be his friends, he should make new ones... You can't protect him from reality.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Things like this happen all the time with kids, it is pretty typical. My son has had friends come and go over the years and it is something they get used to.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know that's how kids are and it's not going to ruin his life (lol). It's just his first time experiencing anything like that and I just want to prepare him for his life because I know friends come and go. I want him to understand it's a part of life without him feeling rejected by things like that or taking it personally.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Comment by Mama2JoshKatie (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I think that this is probably harder on us as parents than it is on kids. Kids are very resiliant and while it may hurt his feelings, he will quickly learn to cope and get over it. You may be a different story though. lol. I know what you mean and it hurts to see your little ones struggle with something, but that is how they learn and grow and when they master something you just feel so proud.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Tell him that friends come and go but your always there for him. But remember kids that age quickly change their minds.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 8:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Wow thats not cool. I would have told the Sunday school teacher so she may have been able to tell me what drama was going on, and just told her he was hurt, and (my kids' teacher ROCKS) she would have kept an eye on my boy.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2010