Question: Playard vs. Crib

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used a playard instead of a crib, and which is the best playard you recommend.

Thank you

bluna3

Asked by bluna3 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a playard the bassinet for up to 13 lbs cause 15 lb limit. and toss the bassinet part back in the box and started to cosleep. 7 months and still using the playard portion and loving it! if you co sleep don't bother with a crib we have a crib and only used for a week. playard has more than one purpose. each family has a preference though.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 10:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I only used my playyard at first because it had a bassinet in the top of it. We kept it downstairs so my son would have a place to nap instead of constantly going up and down the stairs. It also had a diaper changing station up top which was also very handy so we didn't have to bend over the couch or crawl to the ground. It was made by Graco and we still have it and plan on using it later. My son is now 5 months old and sleeps in his crib ( for the past 2 months). The best suggestion I have is for you to ask yourself what you need the most. (We had not planned on getting a playyard, but when we ended up in a 2 story house and I had a C-section, it was a Godsend to have a handy changing/napstation downstairs and his more permanent crib/changer upstairs)....Good Luck and happy hunting!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• we used an arms reach co-sleeper it just like aplay yard but the bed adjust to bassinet height and it worked great until my son was able to pull himself up on the side of it and crawl out onto our bed. we lowered it to the play yard height and he still sleeps in it. i loved it because it converted from a bassinet type bed to a play yard. www.armsreach.com ..check it out. the weight limit is also higher than a traditional bassinet 22 lbs i think.
    jaxonsmmy

Answer by jaxonsmmy at 11:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have a graco pack & play tango in the tongo. The one that is $56 at toys r us. We have now used it for 7months.

We do have a crib, but the pack & play is easily movable, very easy to change the sheets, and it has a basinet for when my son was a newborn. Overall I love it. I sugest getting non fitted water proof mattress pads and a stack of plush or quilted sheets, they feel nice on the skin. If the mat does get messed up it is a light foam that can be put in the shower and washed off and dries quickly.

One more plus is that no harmful bumpers needed. The mesh sides are soft and breathable not to metion I don't have to keep fishing the paci. out from under it like I do the crib.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 11:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• we got a bassinet and loved it. we used our pack and play when he took his naps and he now sleeps in his crib at night. we have the zanzibar by baby trend.... we love it. it has the bassinet the flip over changing station, the side pockets, a musical and vibration box and it went with the theme of the nursery. if you are only getting one or the other go for the pack and play... but make sure it has a bassinet with it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The play yards aren't as soft and cushy as a crib mattress or co-sleeping. My kids slept with us and our third sleeps in her crib till she wakes, if she wakes.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I knew a foster parent who was given a baby with some very serious special health needs. She had a very small bedroom so she used a play yard for the babys bed until the baby was a year and the health issues had toned down (and baby was a little long by then anyways) Worked great for them and saved a butt load of cash
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:53 AM on Oct. 14, 2008