In this societyof promoting natural birth I really want the medical technology.

I say hook me up to an IV, give me drugs, monitor every contraction I am having as well as the fetal heartbeat. Do whatever is needed to be done to get baby out safely and keep us both comfortable.

Why must I try to be strong and deal with major pain? Why would it be unsafe to have baby be monitored?

What are your thoughts?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm all for full medical intervention. I wouldn't have made it through either delivery w/o it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I got my epidural asap I couldn't feel a damn thing and it rocked. I wasn't so drugged up I didn't know what was going on. It was nice to not be in pain so I could concintrate on the wonderfulness of seeing my son come out of me. :) For woman who do it natural more power to them, but I couldn't do it.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree. We are WOMEN. We do not have to prove how big our balls our. We do not have to turn birth into a macho contest. Frankly, I don't care how long someone was in labor with or without meds. I want to see the wonderful new baby or talk to them about their cute toddler. I say, if you want to go "all natural" fine. But don't expect sympathy and don't look for anyone to hand you a medal.
    I've read the history of the "war" that has been waged against meds for birth. Did you know that most of the objections to pain meds started with Adam and Eve?!?! The reasoning went that the pain of birth is woman's punishment for what someone else did thousands of years ago in a mythical garden in what may well be a fairy tale. Thank you, male dominated medicine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Stress in the mother puts stress on the child. Makes sense to me. But I think its a pain thresh hold thing and an anxiety thing. Some people dont use the drugs because it can and will effect the baby, but really, to what extent? I know a woman who used hypno-therapy during her labor/delivery and she said it was wonderful. But Im for the total package, hook me up, and all will be well for everyone.
    Anonymous

• My friend just had a natural birth because her water broke at 5:15 and her daughter was delivered at 7:32. I was there and I was totally impressed. My daughter was induced, I was given IV meds and then the epidural and I was very HAPPY. I wouldn't change it for the world, and I intend to be thoroughly drugged for my next child. As long as I have a happy and healthy baby in the end, why should I be uncomfy?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My sister had both her kids naturally no meds, as for me, I had two with full on meds thank you very much!  It's a personal decision that no one can make for you (unless it's the doc, for medical reasons).  Either way, as long as you take care of your self  and eat right and get your exercise it will be okay.  You can have a healthy baby even if you are a big chicken like me and you don't like pain.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 11:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i had an epidural it wore off after only bout 30 minutes but i got to experience the major contractions before epidural and they hurt majorly then i had a 30 minute break which i was in heaven and then they all came back and it was too late so i had my daughter naturally and i tore i was in so much pain. I loved the 30 minutes that i had without pain i would just suggest that you make sure your epidural doesn't wear off lol
    teen_mom_89

Answer by teen_mom_89 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am all for natural. I am woman.. I can birth a baby or two. I recovered so much more quickly with out meds than my other two pregnancies. I felt like I was going to die after my c- section. They had to force me to take pain pills. I never took them. I want an all natural VBAC with my fifth.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:04 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My first was a planned c-section with a spinal and the recovery was decent. Second was a VBAC with an epidural and I was so relieved when I got it and pushing was a breeze. Unfortunately I passed out after she was born and missed her first few moments and was so groggy and don't really remember much. Third was natural, against my wishes. Things went too quickly and I had my 3rd. I was so excited and happy and really didn't care that I haden't had an epidural. Recovery was amazing, dr came to see me in the morning and I was doing my hair!! I'd never even been out of bed that early with the other 2!!!
    It's your choice, go with what feels right for you. I'm glad that I was natural the 3rd time, made going home to 2 kids under 4 alot easier to handle!
    Best of Luck to You!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I was really hoping to go natural, but there were complications that ended up with me having every intervention under the sun. When I got my epidural, I was like, MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY. If I'm going to have an epidural, I don't mind feeling the tightness and such, but PAIN is a NO NO! I wanted to be able to get some rest in time to push (only to end up having a c-section after 10 minutes of pushing...turned out my son's cord was wrapped twice around his torso, cutting off his blood supply). I say pain relief measures are very individual, and I have no regrets about getting my epidural. Had I not had it, they would've had to put me under for the c-section, so I am definitely grateful I'd had it!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2008