tips for hair growth for donation

I want to try and grow my hair longer and stronger by next summer and donate it

http://www.locksoflove.org/ or something similar

any tips ??/ i have dark brown, curly hair that is about to my bra strap
unfortunately i am allergic to panthenol which is in pantene... i use dove products and use very little styling products/alcohol free gels and never!! dry or flat iron it... i also apply olive oil to the ends... wash it every other day or so but always condition it ...

it seems as though my hair is not growing as much any more... cant get it to grow any longer... i snip the dry/split ends myself... anything else i can do???

chiana

Asked by chiana at 11:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Sorry but you hair will only grow as fast as it grows. It is in our genetics how fast our hair will grow and how long it will get. It is different for everyone.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Biotin is a good supplement to take for hair.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• First of all, check out Pantene Beautiful lengths, http://www.pantene.com/en-us/beautiful-lengths-cause/default.aspx.  After doing a lot of research, this is the company I would rather donate my hair to.  I have done it once last year and plan on doing it again thrugh them!  On the website, it gives advice on how to grow heathy hair for donation! 

Donating hair is such a beautiful thing!  It takes so many pony tails to make one wig.  The more people who donate, the more wigs that can be made! 

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Locks of Love actually charges people for their wigs - try donating to Panteen (they make the wigs and give them to people for FREE! Although you will have to have 12 inches (instead of 10) to donate. My oldest daughter and I donate every year!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Actually, Pantene only requires 8 inches of hair, they recommend more.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I work with Locks Of Love, they do not charge people for wigs. It's a charitable organization. Locks of love accepts 8 inches but pefers 10. I have the guide lines right in front of me. If anything Pantene is doing this to Promote themselves so you will buy their products. Locks of Love has no other motivations. I am a licensed Cosmetologist Manager and work closely in this area. I also make hairpeices and wigs. Most salons have a donation place. Just tell them you want to donate it.

Also try the Nioxin oral vitamins I have seen major growth in some people! They are about $24 and you can buy them at a saolon that carries Nioxin Products.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter did Locks of Love-12 inches.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• make sure you are eatting healthy and are healthy.. a healthy body makes healthy hair. Try multi vitamins.. especially ones with bioton in them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• courtney: why would she donate to a company she can't even use their products for?

Personally I find pantene to be the biggest fraud company.. not only does it contain pathenol(which the OP can't touch because she's allergic), but it contains wax.. (every wonder why it looks shiny.. yeah, well you can dump candle wax on your hair for a similar effect)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Locks of love is a charity for children.

They donate hair pieces to children with medical conditions that result in hair loss (such as cancer) to families that CAN NOT afford hair pieces. T he hair prostheses provided are custom-made from donated ponytails and would retail between $3,500 and $6,000. Locks of Love provides them for free or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.

Pantene donates to the American Cancer Society which provides free wigs to women with hair loss due to cancer treatments whose insurance or lack of insurance will not cover the cost of one.

The only difference between the two is who they donate to: Locks of Love (to children with a NUMBER of different hair loss illnesses)
    Pantene(to WOMEN who have cancer)

I'd still go locks of love.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2010