Getting evicted...what legal rights do i have so i dont end up on the street with my 2 yr old? adult content

i am currently living in a subsedized apartment building in NY state. i missed my recertification meeting and now my landlord is terminating my lease. they gave me 30 days to leave but im unemployed and have no car, it is not that easy to find a place to live with no money. and i have no where to live. literally. what kind of legal rights do i have? who can i contact for help?

lululovexox

Asked by lululovexox at 11:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They can file an unlawful detainer in 30 days. That doesn't mean they can throw you out in 30 days. I have seen people live as long as 6 mos after the unlawful detainer was filed before the marshall knocked on the door. But I suggest you start figuring something out ASAP and go to social services and fill out the appropriate papers.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If they've given you a date to be out by, I'd make sure you had all your stuff out by then or they lock it inside and you can't get it without alot of red tape, if ever. Actually I think it becomes there property (I think).

I had a friend who got evicted from their house and knew they wouldn't have everything out in time. So they got sneaky and tried this: Leave the windows unlocked, but don't open them. Take the screen off ahead of time so you can just slide em open later and get inside to retrieve anything you may have left behind. I'd do it after dark, as well (fewer eyes on you). Since they only ever padlock the front door, if you have a another door, leave that unlocked as well.

To this day the property owner has never figured out how he did it without breaking the front door padlock. The back door was not padlocked and my friend left the windows unlocked, but shut and the owner never bothered to check.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• They don't do all of that until so much time has gone by. It doesn't just happen.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Have you asked for a second chance at another meeting? if you cannot get them to give you another chance then you do have to have everything out by that date. so get a storage unit and put your things in there and find a couch to sleep on. people have to face this all the time and it is scary!I have been there. I have had to do what your going through 3 times, twice I was homeless with 3 kids. You need to do some quik thinking this is real. Call around to churches and ask them if they have any ideas. call The united Way,Salvation army. good luck
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Not many do you have kids?
    Do you have friends?
    Are you maried?
    Where do you live?
    If you need help and you live in the Tulsa Oklahoma area.
    Email Me.
    I can help!!!!
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Find out if you can do a re cert with your landlord...
    But you WILL most likely be responsible for the current FULL months rent
    until your re cert comes in...
    Also they DO have the right to do what they are doing...
    Contact your local social service office to get help and if you do not
    have a place to go find a storage unit for your belongings and you
    may have to go to a shelter for a little while...
    But find out if you can re-cert and DON'T miss the next time...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010