Need help with my 10 year old being nervous and scared. Not going to sleep.

He is in a situation where it is joint custody. At our house he is made to act his age and go to sleep in his own bed at a given time. At his dads he sleeps with his dad and goes to sleep at different times. I cant stop this but at my house he has become nervous and always talking about going to be alone, he has canker sores all in his mouth from his nerves. any answers?

tinasue1

Asked by tinasue1 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• is this a recent fear? Does he tell you more about why he's feeling that way?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Not really a recent fear... he has been sleeping with his dad for 2 years at his house.
    tinasue1

Comment by tinasue1 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would sit him down and try to talk to him.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'd talk to him about what he is scared of, is he scared of the dark, is he scared that someone is going to take him, is he scared he's alone...could be a lot of different things. I'd start there and help assure him that there is nothing to be afraid of and why.

My older son use to worry all the time, was nervous and didn't sleep well....I bought him a worry rock (or whatever they call it), it was basically a small piece of glass shaped like a rock with an angel inside. I told him when he gets nervous or worried, he could rub it and tell it what was wrong to make the fear go away so he could sleep. It helped him, then.
    He's 16 and still has it by his bed.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Continue to be consistent in your expectations. Talk to him, reassure him, but continue the good habits you've already established.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 12:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010