How do I get my 7month old to stop screaming?!?!?

My son has started screaming in the last week or two, for no reason! He is not hurt, hungry, needing attention, NOTHING. He just screetches! It's ear piercing and getting annoying, I don't know how to get him to stop, of course he isn't really getting "No" or "stop" yet and of course I am not going to smack his hand or anything, he's just a baby. Any other suggestions???

melisa.cantrell

Asked by melisa.cantrell at 11:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you mean he is screaming like baby squealing type scream or is he mad or angry screaming.

If he is doing the fun baby squeels then enjoy it...all too soon he will be using that voice to smart off....seriously....that is just part of baby hood...hearing their voice and what noises it makes.

If he is doing it b/c of another reason then he has a need that needs to be met...maybe he DOES need attention or something else....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Maybe every time he does it set him in another room and ignore him (just momentarily of course) If you make it known EVERY time that you don't like what he is doing maybe he will catch on. GOOD LUCK, though. Mine has been doing that since about 6 months and she STILL does it at 15 months. ARG! I know how frustrating and annoying it can be, but I haven't found anything other than ignoring her for a few minutes (yours is younger, so maybe just for about a minute for you) or giving her a firm NO. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• First poster, yes they are doing this for fun, and no, it is not enjoyable. If the sound her child makes is anything compared to what mine does, it is almost eardrum busting!! And they do it for fun, when they get excited,or anything!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thanks ladies :) It's not an angry scream or anything, just like he is doing it just to do it. He will do it while we are giving him attention too. My mom tells him NO and he'll put his head down like he knows but not with me, lol. I just hope he grows out of it because I don't want people to think I did a bad job raising him because I can't make him quit, guess only people who haven't dealt with it would think that huh?
    melisa.cantrell

Comment by melisa.cantrell (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yeah I guess so. lol. No problem. I have thought about ear plugs on occasion. LOL.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter is doing the same thing right now and she just turned 7mo. She has been doing it for at least 3 weeks. Its just a stage like biting is. It does get very annoying but sometimes there's no way to stop it. I have been able to stop it once it gets really annoying by giving her something to play with or chew on. Or just change of scenery ( as simple as moving her to a different place like floor to swing) or go outside. your son will stop with time.

JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010