• In the Spotlight:

tylenol dosage??

so we were told to give our son 0.4 ml of tylenol every 4 hours as needed for teething or for shots but i was looking at the dosage on the tylenol bottle and it says under 2 or under 22 lbs ask a dr. which we did they said 0.4ml. but my son is 9 months old and weighs 22 lbs the dosage for that size child is 4 times the amount we have been giving him 1.6ml.

can i give him more than 0.4 because he weighs that much?

how much are you giving your children?
how old are they? how much do they weigh?

thanks for the input

jaxonsmmy

Asked by jaxonsmmy at 10:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always have given them meds by weight. My Dr even gave me a dosing chart for when they were under 2, so I would know how much to give them, based on their weight.

Honestly because your Dr has already told you what to give him I would stick with that....there has to be a reason your Dr said the amount he/she said to give.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my son is twelve months and weighs 22 lbs. we give him two of the 0.8's sooooo 1.6. they don't put that on the package cause some mothers like to adjust it themselves. call your doctor in the morning. the nurse should be able to tell you right over the phone. it depends on how long ago you asked your doctor. or call the hospital and i'm sure someone can tell you.
    jsscawlcx

Answer by jsscawlcx at 11:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• they told us the 0.4 when he was alot younger like 3 month old i think so i just stuck with it. thanks for the info
    jaxonsmmy

Answer by jaxonsmmy at 11:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• actually i just recently saw on cnn that giving children under the age of 6 medicine like that really doesnt do anything but put them to sleep./ the woman reporting didnt reccommend giving ur chikd anything...which is so weird.
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I saw the what I believe to be the same news story recently and it had to do with COLD medicine, NOT pain relievers.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i've always done the meds by weight, as well but you might want to check with your dr just to be certain.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i also went by weight too..but i didnt use tylenol for teething, i either used gripe water, or those all natural teething tablets..they worked great!! but for shots, yes i used tylenol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Go by weight, it's what I've always been told. Also I prefer to use motrin, it lasts longer than tylenol.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• stick with what your doc says we have heard way too many horror stories about accidental overdose
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Most of the time it's recommended to dose by weight, but with Tylenol and ibuprofen you should double check with your doc as these are especially hard on the liver if taken too much. He's only 9 mos., so they might want him to take a little less than what's recommended for 22 lbs just to be safe.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2008