Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

uggg chaos

So my purse gets taken at the lake yesterday. Thought the car was locked. Ive notifed my bank ect and joined lifelock incase anyone tries to use my identity. My drivers license and social security card where in there! Now I am looking for my birth certificate! I do have my marriage license how am I supposed to get a new drivers license, social security card without having any proof of identity! Any ideas?


Asked by okmommy08 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,080 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I would call the DMV and Social Security and ask what you need to do. If you were born in the state you are in it is easy to get a duplicate birth certificate at your County offices otherwise you will have to get ahold of records in the state you were born and order a duplicate. I know how frustrating it is to go through this. Soon it will all be cleared up- it could always be worse. :-).......

    Answer by LeJane at 11:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • By the way, in the future never ever carry your social security card or anything that has your SSN on it. You're almost asking for your identity to be stolen.

    I hope that you have called all your creditors and the credit bureaus to let them know about the theft.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • I believe the photo from your license comes up on the DMV computer so they'll know its you.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • My husband and I went through this. It was soooooo annoying. Everyone gave us the run around. The DMV told us they needed our SSCard, the SS Office told us they needed our drivers license. If you can't find your Birth Certificate, you may have to apply for a new one. We also had to get a notarized affidavit from an official that knew my husband and who he was in order to get the driver's license. Good luck!

    Answer by Kword at 11:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • For one thing, hate to say it but life lock is a joke...If you have your marriage license, and an old livense possibly, and proof of residency, etc. you should be able to dot he license.

    But Just an FYI my company is with KROLL, who is the #1 int he WORLD for Identity theft protection, and COMPLETE RESTORATIOn ...they took down Enron, and helped with finding and going through all the financial records for Saddam Huessin. They are the company that protects the US Government...if you want more info, just message me

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Thanks ladies for your input it was way to easy. I called dmv when they opened and they said to come in with no proof of anything! Next stop social security office!

    Comment by okmommy08 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • I agree, Lifelock is a joke. They can actually only protect you from identity theft with certain companies.

    If you are worried about your Identity being stolen I would contact the credit bureaus and have them put a freeze on your credit report. That only lasts for 90 days. And it only works if a lender checks your credit before issuing you a credit card. Some credit card companies don't check before hand.

    You'll have to file a police report if you want the credit freeze to be permanent.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • We had our truck broken into two years ago. Both my husbands wallet and my purse were stolen from the vehicle. They contained our social security cards and drivers license. All we had to take to the DMV was a copy of the police report. As far as social security cards, you can actually request them online so they do not need your birth certificate. I would suggest getting a new drivers license first and then taking it and the police report to the social security office. This is what we did and had no problem. Good luck!

    Answer by genuinelyblessd at 7:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2010