how can I get my husband to stop buying beer, I will drink it if it is in the house

I don't have a need for it and I do not crave it...but somehow my husband has gotta have the beer in the house. I can do without the expense and the calories and once I start I cannot stop until I have had 5 or 6 which is alot in calories ( *NOTE** I have this many over the hours of 6 pm and midnight so 5 or 6 is not that bad just bad calorie wise)
I am not going to go buy the stuff and DH knows it so he comes home with these 18 packs and well I can't say no so I drink what is there. It is like junk food I'm not going to make a special trip for it but if it is there it will be consumed. I need to loose minimum 50lbs.
I tried to get DH to quit and he did I lost 10 lbs. and my taste for good healthy food came back.
well that lasted 2 months! now it is back to square 1.
I like my husband when he doesn't have to drink but he has to and it leads me down the same unhealthy path.
How do I change all of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• Hugs ! The good thing is there is a solution. " I am my own worst enemy. " The beer is not the problem, you are. Fight yourself and just take today. Just tell yourself not today. Keep going and stay busy. You need to have a plan to succceed. Keep a close eye on your thoughts. It starts in the mind. Challenge yourself and set a reward for a goal. Be ready and do other things to distract yourself. Bake, redecorate, clean, write- whatever you can do to stay "out of yourself". With a few small changes you can make a difference. It is all up to you. I used to binge drink. I know how it goes. Life is so much better now that I have realized my character defects and I took control of myself. :-) Message me anytime.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Dare him to. Say "I dare you to go a year without drinking" and then, "If you can do it, we'll go on vacation with the money we save!" Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If he wants it then he should be allowed to have it. My hubby loves to get cookies, chips and dips and thing that are so bad for you. I had to learn to control myself. Why should I make him not have something just because I don't want that food or drink in the house. Just like pop. I had to teach myself to not want it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You said that he "has to" drink. Why is that? Is there a medical reasoning for this? If not then maybe Alcoholics Anonymous is a good start.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 11:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• you can't really change anyone but yourself. quit blaming your dh for your own bad habit. only you can keep yourself from drinking too much, and if it being in the house is too much temptation, perhaps you need to rethink why you drink. perhaps some counseling? idk..you can't make your dh stop buying/drinking the beer, and the more you nag him or blame him, isn't going to help matters. discipline yourself, first. maybe your example will lead him to less drinking/consuming??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My hubby drinks beer and I don't. Don't really care either. He can do his thing.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• 2 different issues you identified:

you can't say no (and that's not his responsibility. if you want to say no, then you need to say no. if he wants to have a beer and you don't, that's a matter of personal choice - and personal responsibility)

he "has to" drink (no, he doesn't have to drink - he may like to drink. if he feels he has to, he needs to seek help - but again, that's his choice to make)
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 11:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Try storing it in one of the "drawers" in the fridge so that it is out of site. I have had to do this, because if I open the fridge and see it, I have to have it. BUT, I keep it in the crisper drawer - which I never use anyways - and I find I only drink 1-2 a week instead of 1-2 a night
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You can say,no! It's a choice and your choosing to drink. It's about personal responsibly. Just because it's there doesn't mean you should have it. I'd also suggest speaking to an AA counselor.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 10:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010