Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Lawyer advice plz?

me and my ex husband are divorced, and at the time of it, I couldnt afford a decent lawyer and this program i was told about wasnt taking my kind of cases. So when we got together to sign papers, I didnt have any kind of legal advice. and I stupidly agreed to letting him have custody of our child, I get supervised visitations (which i didnt know what it was till afterward). But since that day I have regretted this decision very badly, I feel like a bad mom, I should have my little girl with me not him. I have made mistakes and now Ive got to live with them. it hurts sooo bad..I see her for 6 hrz a month. Any advice? Ive tried talking to him to get more time with her but hes dead set against it. I currently have no job and am looking but its hard in this economy. Are there lawyers out there that will help me? and if so where do i begin to look? Ive looked all over the internet and in my local phonebook...plz help. I miss her...

Answer Question

Asked by KaylynnsMommie2 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Relationships

Level 11 (523 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • As long as u r out of work,they will not give u custody!!! U need to get a job!! any job!!!! A girl needs her mom!!!! Where do u live??? with family???

    Answer by dancer at 11:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Right now I am living with my aunt...trying to look for a job..I have apps in all ove rthe place and call everyday to check on them... and i live around Effingham Illinois...My divorce was filed in bond county thats where the court hearings for this will take place...

    Comment by KaylynnsMommie2 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Sorry,
    "I can only escape a bad past by adding something better to my future". Do not past trip. It won't change anything and it will paralize any serenity you can have right now. Yes, there are attorneys all over who can help you fight this.- I believe it will be seeking a custody modification order. It is frustrating and will hurt, but in the long run it will be worth it. Just keep doing the next thing and stay logical and positive.
    Do not beat yourself up over this. We are human and life goes on. Keep good thoughts in your head. If it wasn't for you, your daughter would not have life. Look up " Two Wolves ", a Cherokee parable. Keep your mind at peace and do what you can. Chin up, it could always be worse. Let go of the past and move forward. :-)

    Answer by LeJane at 12:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • You should have a DA office. Give them a call and they can advise you. Or, they will tell you who you can call in your area. Good luck to you. Maybe call LEGAL AIDE OFFICE in your town?

    Answer by AdrianaS at 12:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • You can increase visitation without having full custody. You can go to Legal Aid and talk with them. There are Pro Bono (free) attorneys but I'd talk to Legal Aid first. You can call the courthouse to find out where the office is for signing up for a free lawyer. Keep in mind that Pro Bono attorneys are not always in the field you need. They are on a rotation basis and not by field. They would still be able to help but just may not specialize in family law. Even without a job you can ask for joint custody with him having physical custody and you with visitation but I sure would ask for more time in visitation.

    For future reference or women who might be about to go through this, don't sign anything without legal advice or at least without the attorney reading you every word and explaining it. Don't feel pressured to sign. If nothing else, take it before the court and let the Judge act as your attorney.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Once you get a job and your own place then find a lawyer that will let you pay on your case for you to at least get joint custody to see her more and have say in her life.

    Answer by mekarevell at 8:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.