Potty training advice

I really want to potty train my 3 year old daughter before our new baby (#3) gets here. 3 in diapers...Ugh! We have tried giving her candy if she goes and that doesn't seem to last. She just doesn't seem like she cares about the potty and it is easier for her to use the diaper. I thought about just trying panties and let her pee in them until she gets it. What worked for you??? I know I know...you shouldn't rush it and all that. I'm not rushing it nor do I plan to but I do feel like I need to work with her somehow.

kristinashley24

Asked by kristinashley24 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I told him we were going to potty and he was going to use it like a big boy. I took him to buy underwear and told him no more diapers. The first day, I woke him up and put on underwear and proceeded to take him to try every 15 minutes. We did this until it was routine and he had no accidents, then, we upped it to every 30 minutes we would try. And when it was routine, i upped it to every 45 minutes. By day four, he was day and night trained and only needed help to wipe and fix pants afterwards.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• With both our girls we just went to underwear. When we knew they were ready. We let them pick out there own. Yes we had accidents. Which we made them help us with it. With our first it took 3 days. With our second 2 weeks.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Try blue coloring in the water and tell her it is magic water if she goes potty it will turn to a green color
    sagifire

Answer by sagifire at 12:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The 3 day Potty training method worked for both my girls. One was 2 1/2 (when I discovered the method) she was completely trained in 6 days. The other was 22 months and she trained in 3 days :P
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I just potty trained my little boy. just told him one day that in the morning he was going to wear underwear, and that he was a big boy. The next day i just made him sit on the potty to try every 15-30 mins... he was accident free in 3 days or so. I just made him help clean up him accidents. He has done really well. I wouldn't recommend pull-ups... they feel too much like diapers. Underwear are the way to go if you can.
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We just use undies and clean up accidents. My son still isn't totally potty trained. He has good weeks and bad weeks but we just clean up the mess and keep moving. I think each child is different and get it at their own pace. I don't think putting them in undies as opposed to a diaper is going to hurt them at all (as far as pushing them too hard goes). Your reaction to accidents is what can be detrimental to potty learning. Wet undies feel gross but a wet diaper doesn't feel much different (unless it's ridiculously soaked) I think pull ups are a waste of money and are just a glorified diaper. I use the padded gerber undies and just put on the plastic pants over if he's napping or sleeping at night. It's a process and you may find yourself moving forward 4 steps and then moving back 2 and then moving forward 3 steps etc. It takes time but I'm sure she'll have it figured out in no time.
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 12:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Panties and patience. There WILL be accidents, and you have to mentally prepare for it. Don't punish, scold, etc. Just say "uh oh, pee goes in the potty" and help her clean up (note, don't clean up for her, it's her pee, and she can help).
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• we stopped buying diapers. i got him up in the morning to pee because we all have to do it. we bought him his own special potty. its an elmo one it praises him when does a good job. let her pick her own one out. also let her pck out her own underwear. my daughter is also expecting a baby soon.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i had to buy my son underwear we started potty training him at 1 and a half .Before we bought the underwear we had tried the pull ups he would just use the pull ups like diapers but once we bought the underwear he started going to the bathroom like a big boy and we have to buy him a different potty seat we had gotten one of those potty chair and stool ones for when he got bigger but he wouldent use that one ended up buying him the ones that went in the toilet seats
    Teather7705

Answer by Teather7705 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2010