Dental anesthesia for my 4yo?

My 4yo dd needs extensive dental work done that will be performed while she is asleep. Obviously, like any mother, I have some concerns about the risks of anesthesia in such a young child. What was it like when your child had his/her dental work done while under anesthesia? Should I be worried?

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 11:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• As a mother who had to deal with that TWICE now (my kids got my horrible enamel), it's not as bad as it sounds. It's much less traumatizing on the kids that way. My daughter had to have six teeth crowned/filled, so I went that route with her. Now, she has no problems and lives a happy childhood. I'd rather get it all done at once than have to scar them for life by taking them several times to have to get dental work done.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• As a former dental assistant I would not be worried about my child going under anesthesia for dental work. Actually it would be less traumatic for the child to be put to sleep (especially if there is a lot of work to be done, and it will be a long appointment) than be awake and have to deal with the numbing shots, staying open that long, the noise (from the handpiece)....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My niece just went through dental surgery for 4 hours while she was put to sleep. She is 2 1/2. She was fine. I'm sure there is a risk to it, as there is anytime you have anesthesia, but your Dentist should be able to outline those for you and answer any of your concerns. Good Luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my DD had 2 cavities filled and she was put under. My DH took her, he said it wasn't bad
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2010