Munchausen by Proxy???

Ok so my SO and I have a child together. When my SO was about 4 he had kidney failure that nearly killed him... along with other unexplained illnesses. So this condition that my SO had... I'm not sure if it's genetic or not so I asked his parents the name of the condition (just in case my son starts to show signs)... ok so the name of the condition that almost took their only child's life and NO-ONE seems to remember the name??? I am beginning to think that she was accused of MBP and doesn't want to tell me. Am I just being paranoid??? Does anyone know the name of a condition, not common in 4 y/o's that can cause kidney failure?

3livin4angels

Asked by 3livin4angels at 11:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Acute kidney failure may be due to bacterial infection, injury, shock, heart failure, poisoning, or drug overdose. Treatment includes correcting the problem that led to the failure, and in rare cases requires dialysis. Chronic kidney failure involves a deterioration of kidney function over time. In kids and teens, it can result from acute kidney failure that fails to improve, birth defects, chronic kidney diseases, or chronic severe high blood pressure. If diagnosed early, chronic kidney failure can be treated. The goal of treatment usually is to slow the decline of kidney function with medication, blood pressure control, and diet. At some point, a kidney transplant may be required.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/kidney/kidney_diseases_childhood.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I do think you're being paranoid - that's a pretty serious accusation you are throwing at your MIL. Munchausen's by proxy is an extremely rare condition. It could be something with a very technical name that nobody can remember. Just have your SO pull his medical files. There can be many, many explanations for kidney failure.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It should be in your SO's medical files. Have him call and request copies. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• He can get copies, it would be in his records. I don't know for sure if its that...that seems extreme. I think it would also depend a lot on her personality. Do you have other reasons to suspect she was hurting her child?
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You would be surprised at what people forget. My grandmother died in '98 of heart problems and when I was diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder in '07 I began asking my mom and others in the family about grandma's heart condition and no one really knew what the condition was. My mom has atrial fibrillation of the heart and said grandma did not have that but for the life of her could not remember what was wrong with grandma. I found that just crazy! How could they (mom's family members) not know the cause of grandma's heart problems when it eventually took her life and you would want to warn other family members????? It doesn't make sense, but they don't know!
    So, don't think it is MBP until you do some research and check the med records to be sure. Good luck! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My mom forgot she had BREAST CANCER. I'm on my third kid, and she just now remembers. I suppose it happens. And sometimes people rewrite history for their own sanity. My grandfather committed suicide after being found out as a child molester. My father swears his suicide was triggered by diabetes, and I know he truly truly believes this in his heart. Sometimes things are bad enough that we forget.

The other things you mention in your follow up, however, are just not right. That's very odd, and I would have concerns about her as a care giver.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Can your Husband ask his Doctor if there is anything in his records about it? Once he stopped seeing a Pediatrician, his regular Dr, should have received records on previous illnesses, especially if it was a bad one. Go back & call his Doctors. Does he have kidney issues now? If he had kidney failure then Did he have Dialysis? What were his Doctors names? What about school medical records?? The whole thing sounds weird and the fact that his own mother has no records or recollection sounds even weirder????

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• sounds like a poisoning

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well,it seems that MIL does not want to be honest with you.

I would just do my own research and have your child examined by a good pediatrician. Especially if you have real concerns. You have the right to have your child fully checked out.

AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't see why it couldn't just be a case of they forgot... My DH has a kidney condition, it will eventually kill him. We found it a few years back and he needs surgery... Don't ask me what the name of it is... I know WHAT it is and WHAT is does, but don't ask me it's NAME... From what you said here, I don't see any reason to suspect MBP. If that were the case it would have been one thing after another, illness after illness, year after year... Not a one time deal.

Parents with MBP will create illnesses (usually through some form of abuse) in their children or other loved ones in order to get attention themselves. It's not a one time thing, it's an ongoing thing until someone stops them.

Our children have all had their kidney's checked for their fathers condition and I would simply explain to your Peds that you don't know what it's called but that you want to make sure your child is safe... They will take the steps needed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010