My son removed a TICK from behind his ear.. Should I be worried??

I recently found a tick behind my 2yr old sons ear this morning.. I dont know how long it has been there, ive never noticed it before.. One thing I do know is to NOT remove it unless you know what your doing. well Ive never seen a tick nor delt with them, so I decided to do some research on ticks online, as soon as I found how to remove a tick, my son came to me and said he pulled the tick off.. I had to search my living room for the tick, that way I could put it up just incase my son gets sick.. But since my son pulled it off himself should I be worried?? and what signs should I look for if he does come down with something..

AirforceWife654

Asked by AirforceWife654 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• keep an eye out for lyme disease. Id call your doctor as well for advice.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If that ticks head got left in the skin than you should be worried, if a rash develops if the next few days around that area you need to get you son to the doctor asap
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There is nothing to worry about. I got them tons of time when I was younger. Other the if they burred there head in a darn blood.There head is hard to get out. But I never had that happen before.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Normally, a tick-borne illness (such as lyme) will show up as a white spot, with a ring around it, around the bite. Just keep an eye out for the development of a ring around the spot. If he starts getting really tired, complains of aches, or develops a fever, call his doctor. Otherwise, he should be fine. I pulled a tick out of my two year old (right behind his ear) and he was fine. Look up what type of tick it is. The ones you need to worry about are deer ticks. They're tiny, so chances are what you found are dog-ticks. good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• no more than anywhere else, just be glad he got it before it burrowed.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• lol, he'll be fine! It happens to the kids who run around in the bushes all day around here. It's pretty common and they aren't all running to the ER. You can tell how long the tick has been latched on by the size of it. If it was big and squisy like a lima bean it's been there awhile. Only certain types of ticks carry lyme disease. If it was a wood tick no biggie. Those are pretty common.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Take him to his Dr if you're concerned, there are lyme diseases, our son had it, took antibiotics and was fine.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thanks ladies.. Ya it was a dog-tick.. Im going to get my dog some medication for ticks.. I havent seen any on my dog, but just incase..
    AirforceWife654

Comment by AirforceWife654 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If a horseshoe pattern developes around the bite if it is a deer tick. Chances are it was a regular tick.. We have pulled off many ticks through the years. Even if it is a deer tick bite, they will prescribe antibiotics and he will be fine. :-) Just keep an eye on it.....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Just look up the symptoms of Lyme disease and keep an eye on it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010