Babies Encyclopedia: How can I relieve my baby's teething pain?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 12:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a clean rag wet and stick it in the freezer for a little while and then give it to him/her. Allow him/her to suck on it for a while.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• HyLands teething tablets, frozen washcloth and time. I would not use Orajel, too many risks of numbing their airways.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I used frozen washrags. I also used the teethers that you could freeze.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When they're old enough not to choke on them, frozen blueberries or grapes are a LIFE saver. They're firm and cold so help numb the area, taste great and are healthy snacks.

Also, those soft nose suckers (clean, new one of course) are REALLY great to chew on for the molars.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I just use just a cold wash cloth,my kids never liked it frozen. I also rubbed their gums with my clean fingers. The pressure seemed to work great. Lastly,the hylands teething tablets work wonders and are safe to use for infants.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I swear by the Amber teething necklace, it is all natural and drug free. people have been using this method for thousands of years
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I used cold wet (clean) wash cloth.. rub their gum wrapped in a cold washcloth.
    kurtkamkaitsmom

Answer by kurtkamkaitsmom at 12:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I purchased a teething ring with the gel and froze them. Or clean your hands and let your lil one chew on your finger. We made a game of that.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 5:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Massage the babies gums even before LO's teeth start coming in.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Orajel is an obvious pain reliever for the gums, Highlands all natural teething tablets also seem to help. One of the best things I've learned is to put a big carrot in the freezer and when they're fussy let them naw on it. It's too big for them to get a chunk off and choke and it also cleans their gums as it relieves their pain.
    asnerakmommyto2

Answer by asnerakmommyto2 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010