Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My 5mo son has a fever but no other symptoms. Do I take him to see his doctor anyway?

He's my third child so I'm pretty familiar with sick babies. But I never had to deal with my kids having a fever alone. I already gave him some tylenol, because I know that's what the pedi always sends us home with. I'm just not sure if this merits a vist with a doctor. What would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by rAbella at 12:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 17 (3,306 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • I would monitor the fever and if it gets too high and won't go away or doesn't go down with tylenol, then I would make an apt to see what the dr thinks. Usually for us that means my child waits for the dr office to close and spikes a high fever so we end up having to go to the ER. LOL. Good luck. :)

    Answer by Kword at 12:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Any fever of 101 or higher needs a doctors attention!

    Answer by dancer at 12:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Any fever deserves a call to your Pediatrician. Let him/her decide if it warrants a doctor's visit. That way you know as mom that you did the right thing and took all precautions. If it's not necessary, no harm done, but if it is something then you got him looked at! Good luck!! :)

    Answer by carol2m2 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • Is he eating and urinating as he normally does? Is it warm/hot where you live? Anyone else sick? If he's acting normally and eating well and the fever does not spike again, I think he probably is ok. If the fever continues, or he is overly sleepy, quits eating, time to call the pedi- I am a longtime Nicu nurse, so I would not call the pedi unless the situation persisted or his condition worsened/changed. Fevers +heat+ babies= dehydration-eating is key.


    Answer by Sisteract at 12:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • He may just be cutting teeth... After four kids my youngest spiked a terrible fever every time he cut any of his teeth... I would still call the Dr. just to be sure.

    Answer by kamore at 12:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • My 5 month old got sick with a cold on Friday, I called and talked to the Pedi because I was worried with the holiday weekend and most clinics being closed. He told me not supposed to give Tylenol just for a fever this young wait and see If the fever is over 100.4 then call and talk to your doctor. Anthing less than that is probably teething or the start of a cold.

    Answer by wood1980 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • If you can not get his fever down with Tylenol or Motrin. If it is over 102 I always call and see what they say.

    Answer by Raeann11 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • if its just a fever I'd monitor him and continue to give the medicine if it continues or new symptoms begin I'd take him in. Sometimes my girls have 24 hour fevers and then they go away especially during weather change. I once took my daughter to the doctors after 24 hours and they told me to wait 7 days but by day 3 I knew something was wrong, I insisted and ended up taking her to the ER and she had a bacterial infection, Im glad I didn't wait 7 days, cause she needed antibiotics asap. Just watch him and see how it goes. good luck

    Answer by babyangelromero at 12:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • How long has he had the fever? If it goes over 103 or if the fever lasts more than 3 days, I take them in. Most ear infections will resolve themselves in 48 hours WITHOUT antibiotics, so we wait until the 3rd day to take them in if the fever stays below the danger zone.

    Answer by karamille at 12:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

  • A fever is an indication that something is not right, I would take him and find out why he has one, better safe than sorry.

    Answer by older at 12:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.