S/O: how can you (in general) ''confirm'' a miracle?

..relating to the French nun and a Pope JP2. (i may have named the wrong pope, sorry.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 12:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Right pope. I personally don't believe you can, but then, that's one of many reasons why I don't follow the religion, too. The Church itself does have a strict series of guidelines that have to be met to be considered a miracle, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• if it isn't confirmed..does that make it any less significant to her personally?

ITA!!! I get that there has to be some guidelines but I agree that a miracle can happen to YOU and not be confirmed by anyone else.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• French nun and a pope walk into a bar.... oh sorry... j/k ;)

Uhm a miracle to me would be something very Harry Potter or SciFi-ish.... something appearing out of thin air right in front of my eyes (that sorta thing), otherwise I'd have to lean towards there being a logical explanation that perhaps the right experts would have answers to. Just because I don't understand what causes something, doesn't mean its magic, it means I need to find someone who DOES know what it is.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It needs to line up with the word of God. For example the blind man was blind from birth and testified to it and there are witnesses who know of him and/or saw it.

You just know because you bear witness to it spiritually.
    There are also false or fake healings as well. Satan is a counterfeit and will do it for gain not for God's glory.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• They really have to base it on testimony....

The nun had to say she prayed to him, who knows if she really did

Doctors will have to confirm her diagnosis...and cure

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah..i agree, ladies. i mean, i'm xtian and do believe in miracles..but at the same time..i can't really explain them, so i can't understand it completely. for me, its a faith-thing. the whole 'confirming' part throws me off. if the nun believes a miracle cured her, then awesome. i guess i disagree with someone telling me (or her, in this instance) what to believe.
    if it isn't confirmed..does that make it any less significant to her personally?
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Exactly, soyousay! I have the medical records from before and after I received a miracle of physical healing. A person who doesn't believe me could assume that I am making it up, but they cannot argue with the medical records unless they think the doctor would commit fraud for me.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010