What age would you let your child attend a sleepover party?

momov4kids

Asked by momov4kids at 12:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• You have to be incredibly careful allowing your children to sleep over at other's homes. There is a level of trust that you have to have because it is easy to just assume that people are good and will have your children's best interest at heart but it is not always the case. Before you think that I'm being paranoid, take two seconds and click on this site: http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics It is alarming to see the number of abuse cases and to realize that abuse occurs primarily from people you and the child know. I'm just saying it is our jobs as parents to keep our kids safe and although you want your child to have fun, it is not a good idea to leave them in other's care unless you know the people in and out....and even then be careful! Hope this helps! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• middle school. I was llike 10 but that was different time.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think part of letting your kids sleep over someones house has to do with how well you know that family. My kids started having sleep overs when they started school. I think for my oldest it was like first grade. For my daughter who is the baby, I think she was in kindergarten.

For me I wanted them to be able to have and I also wanted to feel safe. So before we had sleep overs we would do play dates with friends and the more we got to know the families the more comfortable we were with them.

So guess as long as you know the family and are comfortable to age is really up to you. Lastly, you can always give your child the option of calling you if they want to come home.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• MIddle School yrs
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• 5 if I was good friends with the family and knew them well. I have no problem with it. As long as I knew who they are and that my son will be in a safe clean environment then 5 would be ok.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It depends who's sleepover. If it was someone's parent's I knew well, probably now (3), if it was a school friend probably 6 or 7.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Depends who's house it was at. My best friend in elementary school was my parents's best friends's kid.We were sleeping at each other's houses in kindergarten. But other people, it wasn't until 8-9 yrs old.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• This makes me feel a lot better! I don't know the people very well. I thought maybe I was being too overprotective. I think I'll wait until she's older or until I know the family better, she's 7. Thanks for your responses!
    momov4kids

Comment by momov4kids (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• 18
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My sons started sleep overs around 7 or 8.That was a long time ago tho.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010