Sippy cups?

My son just turned 2 should he still have a sippy cup? I have given him regular kid cups and he will drink out of them but mostly be wearing his drinks. Is it okay to do both for now?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 3 in December and we still use sippy cups when I pack her to go to out to public or someone else's house. I started her with regular (small, plastic) cups at meal time with just water so that when she spilled there wouldn't be much of a mess. She's gotten pretty good at it though and now we are at using regular cups even for juice and milk at home.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We mostly still use straw sippy cups. I have few that don't leak for unsupervised drinking and I have some with straws for supervised drinking. Mine is 26 mos old. You have to do what will work for your LO. Mine does well with this as well as knowing and being reminded that her cup needs to be on the table when she is done with it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would say it is okay for both. He is only 2 and while you don't want him to be on a sippy cup forever you still need to teach him how to use a reagular cup. One thing you might want to try is seeing if you can get him to drink out of a straw. I taught my kids this when they were little and it was a life saver. I never had to worry about having sippy cups with me all the time becuase they could use a straw.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yes, when you are ready and he is get him off of the sippy cup.

My children used them when we went over families house and stuff like that- in a restauraunt.

At home I would give him a little in the cup for practice if he wants more give him more but not even half way I would just give him sips out of the cup until he gets it then get rid of the sippy, but he is still young so I don't think you have to rush it. Good luck
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• He does drink out of a straw and has been for a while but if it is in the cup he usually wants to take it out and drink out of the cup. lol. But i will keep putting them in there for him. Thanks
    giovannismom19

Comment by giovannismom19 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah, theres no harm, I remember the mess made when I transitioned my girls from sippy cups to regular cups, unfortunately I'll have to go through that two more times, one of my sons is still on the bottle and I'm having a baby soon. Lucky me right?! but yes also try to get him on one that has a straw my girls loved those and it helped with the transition.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It's okay to do both.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010