Samhain

What is samhain about and how do you celebrate it?

Thanks

Nsbgirl

Asked by Nsbgirl at 12:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Samhain (pronounced: sow-en) is a pagan holiday that is celebrated on October 31. It marks the end of Summer and the beginning of Winter.

Samhain is a festival for the time between the old year and the new year. It is a time for having bonfires and playing tricks. It is also a time when people can make contact with departed loved ones and foretell the future. some people have special ceremonies on this day. Some people have parties and other people have special dinners. Just like many hollidays out there each family, sect, coven, or individual practitioner has there own traditions.

Me and my family make cooked apples ( is a wood fire), talk of those who have been lost and make promises for the new year in front of an autumn fire.

wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If you would like specific traditions and how they are done for your own family feel free to send me a message and i will be glad to send my families practices to you
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Samhain is the "Pagan New Year" it's celebrated as a time of death and a time of rebirth. It's a time to find closer on the old and celebrate a new start. Most Pagans believe this is the time of year when the veil between worlds is at it's thinnest and use it as a time to reconnect with those who have passed - ancestors and lost loved ones. It's a time to make resolutions and set your life in motion for the following year (which runs from Samhain to Samhain, rather than New Years to New Years)... The HOW it's celebrated part is going to be different for each person. For us it's a time of celebrating the autumn - we pick apples, have a fire, go out Trick or Treating, and I have a religious ritual as well... There are stories for the children and just an all over celebration for the new year...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My new website will be launching for Samhain this year, but until them, I refer everyone looking for information to these sites...

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/samhainoctober31/Celebrate_Samhain_The_Witchs_New_Year.htm

http://paganspath.com/magik/celtic/samhain.htm

Feel free to message me with questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies :)

Nsbgirl

Comment by Nsbgirl (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My Circle usually does something with Divination, as Samhain is when the Veil is at it's thinnest.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• good answers
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We do a mute dinner to honor our loved ones who have passed(esp. recently passed loved ones). We take that time to focus on the loved ones and all they brought to our family and send out our love to them and thank them for all they did for us.

We set goals for the coming year and burn them in the fire along with letters we wrote to our lost loved ones(so they can get them on the other side).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• google it
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010