What do you get someone for their baby shower, when you really don't want to get them anything?

I have this niece, who is having a baby (obviously). She has had her mother tell everyone that she wants NOTHING used. So, I looked at her gift registry today and I have half the stuff on it, still in VERY good condition. She even asked for the same breast pump that costs $223, that I got for free through my insurance. I LOVE baby showers and buying things for babies, but I just have NO desire to get her anything. I am certainly not going to buy her something that I already have. Obviously, regardless, I had planned to get her something new for the baby shower. It just makes me think, if it were me, I would take the hand-me-downs and then ask for stuff that I couldn't get for my shower, but thats just me. I got a lot of my stuff at tag sales, so I didn't have to ask for certain stuff for my baby shower.

JGRIMMER

Asked by JGRIMMER at 12:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Shopping

• Honestly she just needs to be grateful for getting a party and gifts at all. I'd give her a almost new looking hand me down you already have and let her deal with it. I see no reason you should have to pay for anything, either.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• diapers, you can never have too many! and they're new!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would give her a phone call that you can't make it :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'd buy her dreft for her to wash all those damn baby clothes shes thinking shes gonna get, picky picky. Girls like that piss me off, like seriously this is your baby not everyone elses and because people are buying thing for YOUR baby be grateful and accept what you get.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I always got things that nobody ever think of like,bottles,diapers,baby shampoo,baby nail clippers,little scratch mittens they wear at night.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thats a tough one. I dont see why she is being so picky. They grow out of things sooo fast that hand me downs are perfect! Especially if they are kinda gender neutral so you can use it with the next baby and maybe even the 3rd baby. ya know?
    Anyway. I would choose a pack of diapers and maybe like a health care set or something like that.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i would just attend the party, dont bring any gifts, see what she gets and do pay attention. then later when you know she didnt get a breast pump (maybe she will desperatly need one after baby is born) ask her if she'd like yours :)

you cant win with people who think they will get everything new. my sister used to be this way and once she saw she couldnt do it herself, she had to accept used items
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I probably wouldn't go. Ungrateful people really irk me. But if you still want to go, I usggest diapers and wipes. Also, you can bring a couple of the hand me down items for her to look at after the shower. Just tell her something like hey I have ___, thought maybe you would like to see if you want it?
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If she I so ungrateful than she must not need anything let her buy it herself, rude I know, it's not what you should do but that's what I'd do
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If you really don't want to get her Anything, then i wouldn't! Just have something come up on the day of the Shower- or Don't Worry about what she does & does not want and give her Exactly what You want to give her, Used or Not! It is Crazy to go out & buy something that you have that has hardly been used- She needs to start being a little more grateful! Good Luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010