are your breasts supposed to be discharging something in your ninth month?

I would like to breastfeed but lost on the info... until the milk comes in what is baby supposed to eat?

seevein

Asked by seevein at 1:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• your breasts will start making colostrum once the baby is born. they don't have to be leaking or anything while you're still pregnant.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• colostrum

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Colostrum. It is you "pre milk" and that is all the baby needs until your milk comes in.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 1:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You produce colostrum and that is great for you baby to have. It gives them antibodies they need. So the second you have baby you breast feed. You do not give them anything else. Not everyone discharges during pregnancy and some do really early. Everyone is different.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You milk should come in by the time the baby is born. I would consult with your local "La Leche League" for information and help with your concerns. They are a reputable organization. They should be able to answer your questions. Good Luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You might already have colostrum in your breasts, most women have colostrum come in sometime from the 20th week on. Your milk will come in within the first couple of days to a week, before that the baby will be getting colostrum. It is rich in nutrients, fat and antibodies and is all your baby should need until your milk comes in. It is really helpful to nurse as soon as you can after birth and to nurse often, that should help your milk come in pretty quickly.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• With my oldest, I didn't leak at all... With the second, I was still nursing my oldest, so I didn't notice. With this one (the third) I'm leaking and I'm only 6 months along... So I would say it will vary from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• colostrum. It is all your baby needs until your milk comes in. Just give the baby the breast every time, and ONLY the breast. This is the best way to ensure successful breastfeeding. The colostrum is very nutrient and antibody rich and it is ALL your baby needs for the first few days-week of life.
    Don't let anyone convince you baby needs formula. That just simply isnt true.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My breast always started leaking in the 8th or 9th month, totally normal. Congrats on wanting to breastfeed, it was the best decision I made. The bonding experience it gives you with your child it priceless!!! Your baby won't need to be fed anything except from the breast, unless they need a little sugar water when they are first born.
    ttfntigger13

Answer by ttfntigger13 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It is very common to leak colostrum in the last couple weeks of pregnancy, but not all women do. Colostrum (or liquid gold as some call it) is what the baby eats for the first few days until the milk comes in fully.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010