how much of your breastmilk do you have to pump out after drinking alcohol. i realize you can drink one glass of wine and be fine but what if you drink enough to get a buzz?

purecity

Asked by purecity at 11:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• You do NOT need to pump & dump, just give it time. Alcohol metabolizes in your breast milk the same way it does in your blood. Don't waste your precious breastmilk. Just make sure that when you do drink, you've pumped enough to feed baby with until the alcohol is out of your system. I've always read that the same rules apply to driving as to feeding your baby- one drink per hour. I always wait a little bit longer than that though.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Your breastmilk is like your blood. If there's alcohol in your blood, there will be alcohol in your breastmilk. Even if you pump and dump, and you're still a little buzzed, there will still be alcohol in your milk. I would recommend just waiting til your baby is going to be asleep for a long time, or to pump and save for when you want to drink.

Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 11:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Yeah, you can wait it out. Also, I was told that it's best for you to have your one or two drinks like immediately after you bf so that there's enough time between feedings. Just don't go overboard, or you will have to wait long, maybe pump so you don't get too engorged, and have to find something else for your baby to eat in the meantime!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2008