Important Question about Feeding...

My son (4 months old) is mainly breastfed, but he is also bottlefed, and he recently started solids twice a day (with doctor permission, so don't tell me he's too young). Yesterday I had to go somewhere and he was bottlefed more than usual, and today, we had a little bit of trouble breastfeeding, but he was fine- he just didn't seem as hungry as he usually is. He still, however, ate his solids for breakfast and dinner. Is it okay at this age to replace breastfeeding with a solid meal or am I supposed to wait until he's a year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 4 month old son too, and I also began giving him cereal but he's not taking it too well, so I am starting slowly but surely...anyways, I do not think the breast or bottle should be supplemented with solids, I know they say at this age they should be consuming 4-8 bottles a day. I also know that since the doctor usually recommends that solids be given like a tablespoon at a time the bottle and its liquid is still important. Good Luck
    DaisyD

Answer by DaisyD at 11:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• It is entirely up to you.
    You will get many posts telling you that you should breastfeed only until 1 year. You will get other posts bashing those posts. Truly, it is up to you. What works for your family and situation. As long as he is growing, as long as he feels loved and nutured, do what is best for YOU.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• im no expert bc my chillin is only 3 months, and yes our doctor wants her on solids as well. however i do work at a daycare and i can give you examples of how those parents feed. Most start off with the ceral for breakfast followed by a bottle most of the time they eat the whole thing, but for lunch they get two solids typically fruit and veggies. sometimes a meat with a bottle but when its time to eat their bottle they only eat like half of it then fall asleep shortly after.

hope it helps
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Well, he's still breastfeeding throughout the day- he's not ONLY having solids. And I didn't try to replace it, but once I give him the solids, it's like he's full. I try to breastfeed afterwards, and he won't eat- he cries like I'm forcing him.

I started last week with rice ereal and I just introduced carrots, which he loves, so I mix them. It's not much more than like 2 tbsp. that he eats, but it makes him full. I just want to make sure he has the nutrients he needs.

Thank you for your answers :)
    Anonymous

• you should never replace breastmilk(or formula) with solids. in fact, any solids offered should only be done so AFTER nursing/bottle.
    more info on solids:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I've heard yuo offer a little bit of solids and then the breast r bottle and let them have what they want from both. I have to agree with Kaycee, with your doctors descression do what is best for you and YOUR family. Every baby is different every situation is different and you know what he needs. If he doesnt want to nurse dont make him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The doctor is wrong, he is too young. You'll dry up soon too. But the doctor gave you the okay, so let's not fact check here!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Doctors are not always right. 4 months is too young to be on solids. But if you insist, you should only offer them after breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You don't have to wait until he is a year to do that. But my experience is that at 4 months, they can't take a lot of solid food. My daughter only took a tiny bit. She was breastfed for one year. She is 13 months now. When you introduce solids, you need to do so slowly. If you are bottle feeding breastmilk, there shouldn't me any issues on your end, so long as you pump when you choose to bottle feed or solid feed. I am not sure how your feeding solids. We introduced a table spoon or 2 of cereal to get started. They still need milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My child just turned 4 months also and we started doing the same thing. I am breastfeading her and when she gets more formula then usual during the day its hard to breastfed again because its harder for her to latch on than it is with a bottle. So keep at it she will get back on track. With the food you still need to give her milk whether its formual or breastmilk she needs it. try feeding her the milk than the foods it might help it does with us. good luck
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008