Children getting more and more violent....

A week ago a teen that just celebrated his 15 birthday not even a week before was murdered over an IPOD. An argument over it took place in a local Family Dollar in the middle of the day.
What has this world come to? Just a few days ago more teens were arrested or another stabbing.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-juvenile-charged-as-adult-wvc-teen-stabbing,0,2258514.story

SALT LAKE CITY - A 15-year-old boy stabbed to death at a West Valley City dollar store earlier this week was laid to rest Friday. Hundreds came to pay their last respects to Tayler Pankow at an open casket funeral at Trinity Methodist Church. Several of his friends wore clothing of his favorite football team, the Oakland Raiders.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, made think.....A lot of gangs are teaching kids to rob, cheat and beat. Gotta keep things going I guess. Also, I remember in school the "coolness" of being bad. If you were bad then no one messed with you.Lot's of gangs.Show how angry you can get and they won't bother you. I think they don't realize the consequences until it's too late, because teens can naturally be impulsive too. It's an awkward and delicate stage in life, wanting to be liked, and not seeing the future.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• As with everything else - kids are not getting "more" violent, we just hear more about it when it happens. What used to be front page local news that maybe hit page 4 in other cities for a day is now a weekly update segment on Nancy Grace and continuously speculated on Extra and the other tabloid shows until something even messier and nastier comes along for them to talk about.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When I was 14 I was kidnapped by a 24 year old man, and his 16 yo girfriend for 4 days. She was so high, she tied me to a chair and left me there to die. He recieved 4 years for kidnap and she recieved 8 for the beating. That was 16 years ago, and it's not getting any better. Teens are just as capable of violence.
    I teach my kids to be safe, because of this.

I also to not teach that he world owes us something either. I notice teens have a lot of entitlement issues. If they are mixed with abuse and so on, that can be scary.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Look at what they see on tv movies and music add to the the lack of responsibility they are allowed by parents with a not my child attitude. When I was in schol if I would have gotten in trouble I would have been in more trouble when I got home. Now the parents are ready to sue the school.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Doesn't surprise me. Too many children are too coddled these days. They are not taught that they cannot have what they want when they want. They are not taught they need to work for their money. They are not taught that they cannot be winners all the time. Heck, they are not even taught that sometimes, you don't make the team tryouts. Sometimes, life doesn't work out the way we want, but it's up to us to work hard and earn money to get what we want.

Kids are shown from mommy and daddy's mistakes that unfortunately, living beyond your means is someday going to catch up with you.

Does this really surprise you???? It's a strange generation out there. Our kids were raised with manners, respect, spankings and be told No. Go figure.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It seems all these gangs and drug dealers r getting guns and using them on cops as well as kids in the hood who have nothing to do with them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It all boils down to parenting. People don't bother to parent their kids anymore, they act like they're a nuisance and cramping their style. What I see a lot of in this area is kids losing their parents to meth. The parents get hooked on it and that stuff turns people into monsters. They start beating on their kids, stealing and selling their toys for drug money, or just flat-out ignoring their existence and leaving them to run wild. One such kid set my husband's truck on fire. A lowrider he'd been slaving over for years, this punk kid comes along and lights a blowtorch and sticks it under his truck. Needless to say it was a total loss. I'm glad to say my son is not going to go that route. He has more love and attention than he could want.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 1:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Musicmom80, that's terrible!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I've definately seen an increase in violence over a decade. I've worked with at-risk kids for 9 years, and never had an incident until the last 2-3 years of my career. During those last 2-3 years, I was kicked, given a black eye, spit on (many times), scratched, bitten, and I had one client tell me he was going to come to my home and kill me and my family. It was crazy. The things those kids said didn't seem to be as foul as they were all those years ago. IDK, I think its the desesitization to violence in our culture.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with NP...I am not seeing in personally in my children's school(s), 'circles, etc.... But I do hear about it more in the news...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think kids these days are just as violent as they used to be, only now, there is more media coverage, on TV and the internet. I was watching a show about kids who have killed and most of the crimes took place a long time ago. The crimes just get more attention now.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010