how do you get your child to stop being a picky eater?

Teather7705

Asked by Teather7705 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just don't pitch a fit about it. This is a control issue, and really the only one they can win. Just make what you make, put it in front of them, and when they are hungry, they will eat.

The average child needs about forty calories per inch of height, so they only need about a thousand calories a day. If they child eats a better part of a grilled cheese at lunch, that's about four hundred calories right there. If you've given them two snacks and breakfast, it's likely they've already met their calorie needs by dinner, when most parents feel like they haven't eaten enough.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• (don't forget to count the calories from milk and juice, too!
    lovinangels

• Trust me I go through that now, nip it in the bud....

My 3 kids usually eat and try everything, my oldest won't budge, she would rather not eat... Seriously....

I would be sure too give lots of variety and try new things if it don't work once try again a week later.... Be strong, and say that is dinner, hopefully he will eat it.

My son who is six tries to get away with it, but then I say eat or you don't get this or that. He eats.... He is kinda picky but I am trying to break him out of it....

Good luck, it is hard and you feel bad but imagine the future going to parties-brining your own food for your kid, going to parks, school lunches. Nip it in the bud....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Things you can control - food that is available.
    Things you cannot control - food that enters the stomach.

:)

I've got a friend who is going through a huge deal right now with her 6 year old, and the girl only eats white foods, and only about 12 foods. She's using this book, and I'll try to find out the name. But basically, your job as a parent is to put 3 meals and 2 snacks out per day. Make it an eating event, everyone sits down (hey, this is good for us moms, too!) no snacking in between. Put food on the plate, then ignore them. I mean, ignore their eating. Don't even praise them for trying stuff. You just put food out, and they either eat it or they don't. In 3 weeks, her kid has tried about 4 new foods, liked them, and had seconds for 2 of those.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thank yall so much
    Teather7705

Comment by Teather7705 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i give my son one thing he likes and one thing he hasn't tried. he has to eat the new thing before he gets the other
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My oldest son is still a terribly picky eater and we didn't do anything differently with him than the other 3. It is just the way he is. He hasn't starved in all these years and he has expanded his food choices a little as he has gotten older. I just lived with it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010