After reading some questions..this bears repeating again...

1 day old baby's stomach capacity is about 5-7 ml, or about the size of a marble. Interestingly, researchers have found that the day-old newborn's stomach does not stretch to hold more. Since the walls of the newborn's stomach stays firm, extra milk is most often expelled (spit up). Your colostrum is just the right amount for your baby's first feedings!

You can read more of the article and I will post "a clickable link" for you. There is much information in the article. I ask you all to read. Has anyone else read this and care to share or comment?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 1:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• BUMP!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know what question you are talking about. It did surprise me how much women are not educated in breast feeding. I feel really sad that we are not taught more about it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Bump but unfortunately, most pediatric nurses will push as much formula into the baby as they can get even when this information is correct!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• This is why I room in.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Wow you mean mother nature and/or God knew what they were doing when they created us, and we don't need to re-invent food for babies?? Our bodies are already built to do it exactly right, just like very other mammal's? Wow! Who knew? I thought humans had to do everything around here.... Who would trust God and/or nature to do it right?

Thanks for this post.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks so much for posting this article... doctors and nurses are NOT nutritionists and are often woefully ignorant of the facts about breastfeeding... Its true that a lot of nurses will push formula and not support a struggling nursing mom.
    It helps so much to have this kind of information before your baby comes so that you can be prepared and confident about feeding your baby!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• So, comparable to someone feeling their baby formula, this would be not even an ounce???

Just thought I'd throw that in for all those wonderful formula feeding moms!!feeding baby

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You are right. And formula will sit in the stomach because it doesn't digest as well...the reason they can wait longer between feeds. A BF baby needs fed very often because they can digest BM so much easier, not because it isn't enough. The second you give formula, bottle or pacifier...is the second your body decides that it doesn't need to make as much milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thank you for posting this!! it is so sad that this information is not common knowledge!!!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010