• In the Spotlight:

Corso Cane Mastiffs

Does anyone have a corso cane mastiff? I am considering adopting one through a rescue group. I need one for protection mostly. I have a 2 and a 1/2 yr old daughter who loves animals just as much as I do. Can anyone tell me anything about these dogs? Any breed specific bad behaviors? Thanks so much!

pinkcalla721

Asked by pinkcalla721 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Pets

• Cane Corso Italiano Information and Pictures, Italian Mastiffs

All about the Cane Corso Italiano, info, pictures, breeders, rescues, care, temperament, health, puppy pictures and much more.
    www.dogbreedinfo.com/canecorsoitaliano.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• This is a breed that people commonly confuse with pitbulls becuase of the size of the heads and sometimes the brindle pattern. If you are getting an adult KNOW where it came from. I have 2 pitbulls that I rescued as puppies and they are sweet dogs. Their instincts tell them when to protect. I have a 7 week old baby right now and they are great with her. There is NO such thing as breed specific behaviors. It all depends on how you raise them and the fact that you want to rescue and you love animals says taht is will be loved. Just know that if you get a dog and specifically "train" them for protection, they can get nasty. Their instincts WILL kick in especially protecting your little one. Good luck and kudos for rescuing!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Becareful with a rescue dog. I was looking into getting one but most of them come with recommendations of a quiet home with no kids. While is it nice to be able to rescue a dog you need to be careful because you have no idea what happened in their past and what might be a trigger for them.
    If you are set on a rescue dog check out potcakeplace.com
    That's where we got our dog from. There are literally thousands of dogs on these islands needig homes. You can pick out a pup you like and have it couriered to you by a volunteer. We love our girl.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• be careful. i disagree their is breeding in them for what i don't know but their was on trutv where two of these kinds of dogs attacked a women who lived in their complex and they killed her. they ripped her throat and her chest real bad. although i think the people were training them for protection and i guess at one point when she was walking past her in the hall they felt she was threatening to their master. she was unable to control them cause they were so big and claimed they were never aggressive before which turned out to be a lie. they had been called out before cause the neighbors called when the dog lunged at them. any dog can turn so be ware of what kind of damage could be done. especially when trained to attack. our corgi bit a kid out of nowhere. of course a corgi's bite is not as harmful. either way he was put down.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am looking for this type of dog for its loyalty and its temperment to guard and protect its owner. I so appreciate all the responses I have recieved on my question. The dog wouldnt be off leash unless inside my house. My main concern is my stbx husband who is known to be violent with me and has broken into my house and held me hostage numerous times until he had me to where i had given up fleeing. I want the dog as protection against him if he tries to break in and not leave. Right now the dog is less harmless than the stbx husband. I know he will try and return once he is out of prison. Thanks a lot, I felt like I needed to explain my desire wanting this kind of dog.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would go to the witness protection plan! ie disappear while you can, and leave no trace of your where abouts! ps get the dog too.! My prayers are with you and yours. God Speed your success in defeating this issue. God Bless you and yours!

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Do you have time to walk this dog twice a day? And what I mean by walk I mean the dog is at your side and not infront of you.....This is a powerful breed and needs an alpha leader....i am so sorry about your situation...what about an alarm?
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh yeah, I have time to walk the dog twice a day. I used to walk my medium sized dog daily, rain or what ever, he was always walked. An alarm is already being thought of as well, one to keep on me at all times to push if I see him approaching. Having to reinforce the house in all kinds of ways. The dog would help me sleep at night too. I could relax enough and let the dog listen for me.
    LOL on the witness protection program, would that I could but I have to take care of my mother, so I cant relocate.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I can't say I would recommend a Cane Corso as a family guard dog. The potential for an Alpha mentality and their high Prey Drive would make them too risky a proposition for me to keep one around children. The Cane Corso has been bred and trained to assert their prey drive on humans, unlike the Pit Bull and Amstaff (they once were the same breed), who also have the same traits, but have also been bred NOT to bite their handlers in the fighting pits. It actually takes quite a bit of mishandling to make a Pit Bull bite a person.

I would go with a dog that has not been bred exclusively for guard work, but is known to be a protective breed. And of course, make sure it comes from a reputable breeder that breeds dogs with stable temperaments and that have OFA health certifications. It may cost more money up front, but it will save you money and heartache later.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2008