Would you let this girl come around?...

I was friends with this girl long ago.. I moved, she stayed. Got on drugs, got pregnant.. I moved back. She just got out of prison for meth.. & I'm she still does it (never in front of me).. She has no place to live so she is staying with my neighbor..with her son! Her son has no one to play with so I let him play with my daughters.. Am I doing the right thing or should I keep them away?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 1:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• As long as there is other supervision besides her you are doing the right thing. Just because his mom is being the dumb one doesn't mean you shouldn't let her son play with other kids that's not fair to him. he is just a kid an you are being very mature about it and a sweet person. Good job!
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i don't know about you but i dont need people around me like that...stay away...far far away
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think it's ok, just as long as the son doesn't pick up on his moms drug habits. But if they are only playing at your house or in the front then I think it's ok. I wouldn't let them go over her house if you aren't going with them.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think what youre doing is okay. Its not her sons fault that his mother is a drug addict. Theres all kinds of people in this world, with all different kinds of life styles.
    As long as her life style isn't effected YOUR life style or your childrens life style, I think its okay. Maybe you could be someone she can look up to and maybe take some good advice from in getting her life together for herself and her son. I wouldn't let her move in with me though..if that ever becomes an issue...
    Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't make it a regular thing but ocassionally I think it's OK if they play all together outside "Supervised". I feel bad for the poor little boy. How sad is that? Just be careful that he doesn't bring anything ouside (drug related) to show your girls. He doesn't know what those things are. She will probably be put back in jail sooner than you think so it won't be an issue for long. I would NOT befriend her at all though. GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thank you ladies! I really feel awful for the poor kid.. he's only 4 and for what he's been through, he's the most well-behaved child I have ever seen....maybe that's because she doesn't raise him.. But she has two other kids also ( not in her care).. Poor things.
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• By all means let the kids play. That little boy needs someone to look out for him if his mom won't. But I warn you, do NOT let the mother into your house. She WILL steal from you. That's what tweakers do. Maybe that seems mean but it really is for your own protection. Meth turns people into monsters that will do anything for the next high.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 1:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't allow her into my home.. I don't allow anyone in my home that I don't completely trust. They have only played together once so far, but outside only. I just feel really bad for the poor little boy. Thanks!
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ..just as long as she doesnt influence those poor kids being around them. Who knows what bad things she could teach them..especially since she is still doing meth. Who knows what she may do to get that meth. She could be stealing, prostituting her body..doing all that in front of her kids. I wouldnt want my kids around anyone like that or around kids whose around parents like that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Shay--the child cannot help that his mother is a drug addict.. I think it's good for him to be around "normal" families..he's only 4. Kids don't understand certain things, meth being one of them.. all he knows is that's his mother and he loves her. Why should I be rude to him just because his mother cannot take care of him?
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010